HELP! (again!) Too much priming sugar?!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Babs

Reaction score
Hi there, I appeal to all you Cider making experts out there!

Yesterday I bottled my 24 litre brew of Wilko Cider (from the Wilko's Apple Cider Kit).

This kit is a first for me as I have only ever done TC using a recipe I got from here. Success every time!

However, I racked, primed and bottled on auto-pilot yesterday and only realised this morning that Wilko recommend adding no more than 85g sugar to prime a 24 litre brew.

I used 350g ! That's more than quadruple!

What is going to happen? What should I do? Shall I dump it? Drink it? Drive it to a remote layby and abandon it?

It's currently sitting in a cardboard box in my garden. I await your advice, but be aware the bomb is ticking!

Thanks a lot.

Babs.

Loosen the tops then bring into the warm, to ferment out that sugar. Maybe after a week or more it will be safe to tighten the tops back on and let carbonate.
I'd change the cardboard box for a plastic one in case they overflow.

Alternatively you could look into pasteurising the bottles to kill off the yeast if you want a sweet still cider. Could be risky though.

Never done cider, but normal advice for beer is keep warm for 2 weeks to carbonate, then keep cool for 2 weeks to condition. For your cider, I would suggest limiting time in warm place for 2-3 days, then keep cool to prevent further fermentation / carbonation. This will leave some sweetness, but that can be acceptable in cider. Also have a big jug handy when you open the first few, pour into jug to allow gas to escape before transferring to glass.

PET should be easy to manage. Just keep warm and check daily over 2 weeks and when they feel rock hard just vent a little gas by loosening the screw top.

Plastic.

PET stands for polyethylene terephthalate a form of polyester (just like the clothing fabric) it is extruded or moulded into plastic bottles and containers for packaging foods, beverages and many other consumer products.

Last edited:
Early Christmas kisses off Pippy!
IMG_20180921_201004.jpg

Latest posts

Back