Help choosing an IPA recipe

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simonh82

Landlord.
Reaction score
After knocking out a couple of medium strength brews, I feel like a need to stock up on something stronger. I've got an idea for either a Belgian or Rye IPA and I'd like to know people opinions on the recipes.

I had a beautiful Belgian IPA from Stewart Brewing called First World Problems. This peaked my interest in this style and made me think I could try it. I've not had many rye IPAs, but I really enjoyed one I drank a while ago (can't remember what it was called), so this is another option.

Both recipes use Marris Otter as the base as I don't have space for lots of different base malts and it had worked well for me so far.

The recipes are below. Any thought or suggested tweaks gratefully received.

Beer 1: Tin Tin Hop Hop Belgian IPA

Brew Method: BIAB
Style Name: Specialty IPA: Belgian IPA
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 23 liters (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 29 liters
Boil Gravity: 1.055
Efficiency: 80% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.064
Final Gravity: 1.014
ABV (alternate): 6.85%
IBU (tinseth): 64.28
SRM (ebcmorey): 18.77

FERMENTABLES:
4.5 kg - United Kingdom - Maris Otter Pale (79.6%)
0.2 kg - Belgian - Special B (3.5%)
0.45 kg - Golden Syrup (8%) (I'm not worrying about candi syrup for my first go at a Belgian beer)
0.5 kg - Belgian - Pilsner (8.8%)

HOPS:
20 g - Apollo, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 20, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 38.38
20 g - Chinook, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 13.5, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 25.91
20 g - Chinook, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 13.5, Use: Whirlpool for 20 min at 75 °C
20 g - Styrian Cardinal, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 6.1, Use: Whirlpool for 20 min at 75 °C
80 g - Styrian Cardinal, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 6.1, Use: Dry Hop for 7 days

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Infusion, Temp: 64 C, Time: 80 min, Amount: 22 L
2) Sparge, Temp: 75 C, Time: 10 min, Amount: 8 L

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
0.33 each - Protofloc table , Time: 15 min,

YEAST:
Duvel yeast, cultured from bottle sediment
Fermentation Temp: 20 C

Beer 2: A Rye Glance IPA

Brew Method: BIAB
Style Name: Specialty IPA: Rye IPA
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 23 liters (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 27 liters
Boil Gravity: 1.051
Efficiency: 80% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.060
Final Gravity: 1.010
ABV (alternate): 6.78%
IBU (tinseth): 74.06
SRM (ebcmorey): 16.14

FERMENTABLES:
1 kg - German - Rye (18.2%)
4 kg - United Kingdom - Maris Otter Pale (72.7%)
0.3 kg - United Kingdom - Crystal 15L (5.5%)
0.2 kg - United Kingdom - Crystal 50L (3.6%)

HOPS:
25 g - Apollo, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 20, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 49.62
10 g - Cascade, Type: Pellet, AA: 9.3, Use: Boil for 14 min, IBU: 4.79
30 g - Nugget, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 14, Use: Boil for 14 min, IBU: 19.65
30 g - Cascade, Type: Pellet, AA: 9.3, Use: Whirlpool for 20 min at 75 °C
20 g - Chinook, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 13.5, Use: Whirlpool for 20 min at 75 °C
60 g - Cascade, Type: Pellet, AA: 9.3, Use: Dry Hop for 7 days
25 g - Nugget, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 14, Use: Dry Hop for 7 days
30 g - Chinook, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 13.5, Use: Dry Hop for 7 days

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Infusion, Temp: 65 C, Time: 80 min, Amount: 23 L
2) Sparge, Temp: 75 C, Time: 10 min, Amount: 9 L

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
0.33 each - Protofloc tablet, Time: 15 min,
2 g - Yeast nutrient, Type: Other, Use: Primary

YEAST:
Fermentis / Safale - American Ale Yeast US-05
Starter made from slurry
Fermentation Temp: 18 C

I do this one all the time and I'm getting 7.5% knockout wonderful beer. It is DEAD simple.

6kg Weyyerman's Pale Ale (about £26 for 25kg from Geterbrewed)
150 grammes crystal malt

Mash for 1 hour at 68C

22gm Magnum pellets @60 mins

37gm EKG pellets @10 mins

Flame out and cool to 80C

37g EKG pellets steeped for half an hour at 80C

Nottingham yeast - leave to ferment at about 20C fir two weeks.

I got OG 1066 every time with this and finished brew at 1010 or 1011 about 22litres to bottle .

Very strong with a lovely earthy flavour.

If you are wanting a nice rye flavor upfront I'd reduce the crystal malts.

I'm also a big fan of reducing the bittering addition and gaining a fair portion from late hops as this will add to the flavor component. Many don't share this thought with me it seems, but it was something I was shown and I fell for it. But then that's if you are gunning for an American style, and if that's the case I'd use quite a bit more hops for the whirlpool and dry hop.

I brew 19.9L beers (5.25 gallons). This is what the hop schedule for a Centennial IPA looks like (converted to grams and rounded):

14g Warrior (16%) @ 70 mins
71 g Centennial (10%) @ 21/7 mins
99 g Centennial for whirlpool and dry hop

This shows a higher than normal IBU (103) but isn't "bitter" at all as it's just not the same as when it's boiled for long periods of time. My way is abnormal though using that much late boil hops. It's what I did to achieve a fair amount of flavor and aroma before I found out about whirlpooling.

From what I've read you get a bit of a different flavor profile by boiling vs whirlpooling vs dry hopping and so I figure this blends the various flavors together. One day I'll try just whirlpooling and dry hopping to compare what I usually do, but I've been happy with what I've produced.

A secondary reason for boiling late hops is that they don't fade nearly as quickly.

Re Rodwha's post:

I love Centennial and alternately make English and American style IPAs with the same grain bill I listed above. The hopping I go for in the APA is a good bit lower than the one you list above.

Mine is:

32g Magnum @ 60
15g Citra @ 10
15g Centennial @ 10
40g Citra @ flame out (temperature dropped to 80C an d steeped at 80C for 30 minutes)
40g Centennial @ flame out (temperature dropped to 80C an d steeped at 80C for 30 minutes)

This for me gives a pretty massive hoppiness. It's all a matter of personal taste of course so we can only try them out.

By the way - I'm a bit unusual in that I leave the hops in the brew during the two week fermentation which probably adds a bit to the uptake of flavours.

Thanks for the suggestions. I think l I might reduce the crystal and up the hops. I've been concentrating my hops I the dry hop additions after reading a recent article that dry hopping gave better flavour and aroma than late boil of flame out additions.

Saying that I know dry hop fades quickly so this may not be the best idea.

I've got a packet of El Dorado which should be great for giving a fruity punch.

I love the US hops for their aroma and flavour but the 2015 harvest seems really expensive for a lot of the big hitting varieties. £6-8 per 100g. I may just have to bit the bullet if I want real hop bombs.

Hi Simon i stopped dry hopping a good while ago now, i only use a bittering hop @60 then all my hops are added @15 and at 80c ish steeping for 30 mins

Hi Simon i stopped dry hopping a good while ago now, i only use a bittering hop @60 then all my hops are added @15 and at 80c ish steeping for 30 mins

+1 on that.

I found my dry hopped beers rapidly lost the hoppy aroma. A week after bottling they were young and bursting with aroma and flavour. By week five all the dry hopped effect was gone.

Late hops liek Stevie123 says and instead of flame out, another dose after dropping the temperature to about 80C and steeping them at that temperature for half an hour, then cooling down to pitching temperature

I've enjoyed my first AG galaxy hopped IPA so much I'm repeating it as a full batch with a slight tweak.

4.65kg Vienna
350g caramalt

60 mins 5g of both summit and galaxy
10 mins 15g of both summit and galaxy
5 mins 15g of both summit and galaxy
10 min hop stand with 15g of summit and galaxy

Will be interested to see what the summit brings to the party, hoping they're not too similar, but didn't want to deviate too much from the original.

Thanks for the suggestions. I think l I might reduce the crystal and up the hops. I've been concentrating my hops I the dry hop additions after reading a recent article that dry hopping gave better flavour and aroma than late boil of flame out additions.

Saying that I know dry hop fades quickly so this may not be the best idea.

I've got a packet of El Dorado which should be great for giving a fruity punch.

I love the US hops for their aroma and flavour but the 2015 harvest seems really expensive for a lot of the big hitting varieties. �£6-8 per 100g. I may just have to bit the bullet if I want real hop bombs.

I'm not sure how the pound compares to the American dollar but that seems fairly close, though it would be for 4 ounces, which is a little over 112 grams. But then that depends on which ones as some are cheaper with the price above being for the more expensive ones. That also if not buying in larger quantities as the supplier has them in 8 ounce packages and a few in 16 ounce packages.

And then there are the direct hop suppliers where huge amounts can be bought quite cheaply. That's something I'm considering as I have a vacuum sealer, but have been reluctant as I'm uncertain as to how long they'll keep.

Latest posts

Back