Help dont know what kit to buy for Husband

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tingo100

Reaction score
Hi,
I’m looking for a beer brewing starter kit for my husband for xmas, I have no knowledge of brewing and am confused as what brand/make to buy. I was looking at mr beer kits as they seem to be easy and have no brewing smells? And if he gets into brewing he could then progress on to something else, but am not sure if they are too limiting. Or there are Coopers kits? If anyone can suggest a kit for me i would be most appreciated also suggestions of a reputable site to buy from. I was also wondering if you have to stick to the same brand refills for the mr beer/coopers kits or can you use different ones. Any help would be most appreciated as I him if I dont want to get him a usless kit :D

Buy him a Coopers kit of the style of beer he enjoys.... then dab a little perfume behind your ears and prepare yourself to be thanked profusely.... :D

If you buy him the coopers starter equipment kit, he can re-use it with whatever kit (we know the tins as "kits") he then chooses, but the Coopers kits are very good, easy to brew and reliable.

One thing to note - whatever time the "kit" says to brew for, ignore it! Generally they are optimistic and will say "2-3weeks from start to drinking". You can do this, but it won't taste very nice. Plan on 2 weeks to ferment, 2 weeks in bottles in the warm, then 3 weeks somewhere cooler (garage/shed etc) and you/he'll have a great beer.

Oh, and if he needs any advice, point him our way...we'll always do our best to help!

fbsf said:
If you buy him the coopers starter equipment kit, he can re-use it with whatever kit (we know the tins as "kits")...
Sorry, I've clearly misunderstood the exam question. Do what FBSF says.

Dont worry about "brewing smells", Unfortunately you wont smell much of anything from a beer kit while its fermenting! Which is shame, fresh beer doesnt smell anything like the "old fart's pub" smell you're probably worried about :thumb:

If he is starting from scratch, look at the top of the page and click on "the homebrew company" link which will take you to their website where you can get a complete kit-brewery for £62.50.

Do you know what his favourite beer is or style of beer? Perhaps someone can recommend a kit.

Some of the online homebrew stores sell the minimum equipment that would be needed to brew and give you include a choice of beer kit (e.g. http://www.biggerjugs.co.uk/starter-bee ... -1042.html). There are obviously loads of combinations, so some have extra buckets, some come with bottles etc etc.

agree with the above, the easiest kits (ie tins) to do right are the woodefords wherrys, brewferm and coopers stout
best all in one equipment pack i could recommend is the coopers kits that come with the screwtop bottles (dont go wrong nearly as often as kegs in beginner hands) and u cant over tighten them-buy the bottles myself...would also recommend an extra bucket for bottling etc really makes the process less painful

also could be worth adding some extra kits aka tins and bottles so can have a selection of beers ready/getting ready

wilsoa1111 said:
also could be worth adding some extra kits aka tins and bottles so can have a selection of beers ready/getting ready

I was going to say that but if it's a Chrimbo pressie, the fermenting bucket will be tied up for at least a fortnight, so he'll have plenty of time to go shopping (online or otherwise) to choose his next kit...and choosing what to brew next is half the fun!

Thanks for all the advice, it was more the starter equipment kit I was wondering about initially, can anyone tell me what size fermenter would be best 25 or 33 litres? What is the standard size needed for the beer kits? If I get a 25 litre will he be limited as to what kit he can choose? I think I will forget the Mr Beer starter kit, but am not sure whether to go for the Coopers or Brewsmarter equipment kit, the Brewsmarter seems to have a easier bottling process, but the Coopers has a bettter quicker fermenting process if ive understood correctly, also is a brewbelt a good idea? we dont always have the heating on throughout day/night. As to what beer he likes he buys broadside, bishops finger, spitfire, old empire to name a few. Sorry for all the questions just want to get it right.

I just have 25L ones and they've been fine for me. The tins he buys will only usually be for 23L (I've never seen any bigger) and a 25L fermenter can easily fit it in. I brew mine short as well, so I only top up to about 19L so that you have a slightly fuller flavour. :thumb:

If you are buying the kit separately, go for a 33L as it has more room for the yeast foam when it's doing it's intial ferment - a 25L can mean a vigorous brew climbs out of the airlock, onto the lid and subsequently the carpet. However, if it's an all-in-one boxed set, the 25L it comes with will do just fine. It's all I've used so far, but am getting a 33L soon for flexibility.

Are you ok for the rest of the equipment, or would you like us to draw up a basic starter list?

Beer-wise, if he likes those beers, I would start with a Woodford's Wherry - it's a two-can kit that won't need any extra sugars or the like, and produces a cracking pint.

The coopers starter kit is not a bad one but i started with it and if i was to start over again i wouldnt bother with it. Id get a fermenter, either 25 or 33 is fine (33l just gives you more headspace to stop it overflowing with lively brews) a hydrometer, syphon (could get an auto syphon but not essential) spoon or paddle and a kit. Thats all he will need for starters, extras then could be a bottling bucket with little bottler to make bottling easier or a bottling wand for the syphon, but those are not essential and can be bought later on. Also make sure you get some sanitizer. Good luck!

If buying individually from Wilkinsons:
2x plastic 25L bucket - £17
siphon - £2.25
sanitiser - £1.60
hydrometer - £3.50
trial jar - £2.50
turkey baster - £0.80
large plastic spoon - £1.20
Woodforde's Wherry - £18
Wilkinson's Bottle Capper - £10
Bottle Caps - £1
Bottle Brush - £2
Yeast Nutrient - £0.80
Thermometer - £3.50

Total: £64.15

all he'll need then are empty bottles.

Wilkinsons online lets you order everything and have it delivered to your local store and you can pick it up there without any delivery charge.

The coopers starter pack comes to about £70 and has 40 plastic bottles with it and is ready to go.

I'd be very happy with either option :thumb:

Thanks again for all your help, I think for ease I wll go for one of the new Coopers equipment kits and get a Woodfords wherry kit as well, as recomended. Has anyone used the Brewmaster website or homebrew online are they reputable?

Back