Help following mistake

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Isotonicsportsbeer

Reaction score
Hi All

was wondering if someone would be able to help with some advice, I have just brewed a batch which is currently in the fermenter however, due to an cock up when transferring the recipe from one tool to another I have managed to miss all the boil hop additions. basically I was aiming for a hop forward IPA and have made a wort using just crisp maris otter nothing else. I can still dry hop but wondering what combination might be good to do just a dry hop. I have in stock:
Simcoe
willamette
cascade
chinook
centennial
mosaic

any ideas what combo and quantity might make something drinkable and not ruin the whole batch.

I will say its a 14L batch but that doesnt matter cos i can scale it down

appreciate this is a weird question but dont want to just chuck a batch of random hops in and end up with something terrible

any help appreciated in advance :-)

thanks

Personally I would grab a couple of litres of your boiled wort from the fermenter and do a stove top boil of a mix of something like mosaic and cascade, or maybe simcoe - can either do a full 60 min boil or just cut down to 30mins - follow the measures and timing as though you were boiling with the full 14 litres, then cool and pour into your fermentation vessel. You would want the hops either in a spider, hop bag, or otherwise filter the hops out at the end!

That's what I'd do. Then dry hop on top.

I don't think dry hopping alone will work, as you will not have the bitterness you want in an ipa.

My hoppy ipa/APA recipe (for 20 litres) - could replace citra for mosaic - might want to stick with these measures for extra hop kick.

4kg marris otter,
15g citra @ 60
25g of citra and same of cascade @ 20
25g of each @ 10 mins

50g cascade and 35g citra dry hop in a few days. Crossmyloof kiwi pale ale yeast

Last edited:
What @crowcrow said seems the simplest route.

As for the dry hop, I'd go Simcoe and then one or two of your C hops. If I'm going for a really hoppy beer I aim for somewhere in the region of 15 to 20 g/L of hops in total.

Latest posts

Back