help mold

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hopinator

Reaction score
So I've just gone to add my dry hop additions and no ive seen mould ontop of the yeast mush on top of my brew.

I'm doing a mango ipa and gutted about this as its been tasting ok throughout the brew.

Do i chuck is it ruined ?
Or I'm cleaning out my mash tun and hoping i can transfer to that minus the mould and using a bike co2 dispenser fill the headspace with co2 and add hops and hope its salvagable

what do folks think

Tastes fine, hard to get a photo as its such a narrow top, Ive transfered to my mash tun, which is good as i wanted to convert it to a fermentation tank as I'm building a new mash tun, and means i can batch prime in the other. It looked to have little black bits ontop of the yeast **** on top, after I transferred I'll be honest it didn't look like it had mold. to be fair thats first time Ive opened after adding mango and it had completely fermented out after a starting gravity of 1.060, so prob wasnt mold. This is how we learn though.

So I've just gone to add my dry hop additions and no ive seen mould ontop of the yeast mush on top of my brew.

The "yeast mush" is the krausen and it comes in many shades of colour and consistency. In very few instances will the coloration be a mould,

I'm doing a mango ipa and gutted about this as its been tasting ok throughout the brew.

How many times have you been into the brew to taste it? Personally, once the lid is on the FV I wouldn't open it up for at least a week; and even then only once to add hops or an adjunct. Most of the time I don' touch the FV for at least two weeks.

Do i chuck is it ruined ?

"Brewers" can be added to the saying "God protects drunks and idiots." so I doubt if it will be ruined; although opening the FV up to taste it is an excellent way to introduce something you don't want into a brew.

Or I'm cleaning out my mash tun and hoping i can transfer to that minus the mould and using a bike co2 dispenser fill the headspace with co2 and add hops and hope its salvageable

If it is mould then I doubt very much that you will finish up with a brew to be proud of; and there will be a good chance that it tastes "musty". On the basis that it isn't mould, then personally I wouldn't transfer it. I'd just leave it alone for a week from the last addition, check the SG, taste it and then bottle it if it's okay.

what do folks think

I think that in the future you should go for a more simple recipe and stick to the 2+2+2 formula of 2 weeks fermenting, 2 weeks carbonating and 2 weeks conditioning.

Good luck! :thumb:

Back