Help needed for wine gone wrong.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Samw04

Reaction score
Sorry if this isn't the right place to post.
I made up a kit wine a few weeks ago a 30 bottle rose from wilko I followed all the instructions to the letter as I had done before with the 6 bottle "sample kit" that I had done but the result wasn't nice as I was short on bottles but had lots of Demi's I finished the wine and put most of it into Demi's (3) and the rest into bottles. When I tried the dirt bottle it tasted like watery sterilising solution, thinking I'd made some error I planned to tip the lot away but tonite as I went to empty the Demi's I notice that it has started to ferment again, I'm not sure where to go next the steriliser taste has gone and its starting to taste like the wine should but I'm worried as there is no head space in the Demi's (I thought it had finished so had planned to decant into bottles 6 at a time for drinking) I did use saftey corks but if it really kicks off I feel its gonna make a mess and waste. Please can anyone help me rescue my wine should I throw it back in a bucket and add more sugar and yeast? Or Leave it and pray it doesn't overflow? Any help or advice great fully recieved. Thanks Sam.
Forgot to say yes I did make it at the start of the heat wave not knowing that it was coming.

Samw04 said:
should I throw it back in a bucket and add more sugar and yeast? Or Leave it and pray it doesn't overflow?
No, don't put it back in a bucket, that's only going to do harm and risk oxidisation.

Just re-fit airlocks to the DJs and leave them alone, if the majority of the sugar has been used up and it's just on a gentle tickover there shouldn't be any risk of overflowing.

Back