Help! Rice and raisin, I think I've ruined it

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrTr1cks

Reaction score
Hiya, can anyone help me save my wine? : (
I'm making Rice and Raisin following CJJ Berrys book recipe.
I've had the mix in the bucket for the 21 days and transferred to the demijohns, but it has been in those a week and fermentation hasn't restarted.
Reading on the hydrometer is .998, surely it shouldn't have finished already?
I'm not sure what to do next. Any help or advice is welcome, thanks.

Rice & raisin will usually ferment all of the way out in the bucket.

TBH I'm a bit surprised it's only gone to 0.998, but I don't know your OG or what yeast you're using.

Ok ty for replies

It was left in bucket around 28 days and did bubble like crazy but worth checking with you all :)

The recipe was 3lb raisins (we used sultanas though), 5lb long grain rice, 10lb sugar, 2tbsp citric acid, 3 gallons water and 2oz yeast and nutrient.
We used Ritchies yeast&nutrient mix.
We've reused the pulp and started it off again like it says in the book.
I didn't take a hydrometer reading at the start, so I don't know the OG.

There's no reason that wouldn't ferment out in 3 weeks. Especially with the humidity, things are speeding up nicely, I had a beer finish in 36 hours last month!

If you havn't got much headspace in demi johns, leave it in there for a while to bulk age, then transfer to bottles later on. :)

I made the very same last year but I added 5 sticks of Cinnamon and 5 Star Anise in 5 gallon FV as well and 1 Camden Tablet in each Demi John. When last tasted it was very very dry and took the back of my throat out. I will wait till 12 month to try again.

Great stuff! Thanks for the reassurance, as you can tell I'm still quite new to all this.
I have some cinnamon sticks in the cupboard, I was wondering what to use them for, I'll bung them in with the restarted pulp to add a bit of flavour. And I'll get this batch stabilised.

Latest posts

Back