Help - Wine isn't Fermenting

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madSimonJ

Reaction score
I need some help!

I started a batch of Mango wine away yesterday & nearly 24 hours later there's no sign of fermentation.

My recipe was:

* a tin of Kesar Mango Pulp
* 500g sugar
* 1 tsp yeast nutriant
* 1 tsp pectolase
* about 2 litres or so of water
* a sachet of wilko's wine yeast

The yeast is just floating near the bottom of the demijon though & there's no bubbling.

Any ideas?

I need some help!

I started a batch of Mango wine away yesterday & nearly 24 hours later there's no sign of fermentation.

My recipe was:

* a tin of Kesar Mango Pulp
* 500g sugar
* 1 tsp yeast nutriant
* 1 tsp pectolase
* about 2 litres or so of water
* a sachet of wilko's wine yeast

The yeast is just floating near the bottom of the demijon though & there's no bubbling.

Any ideas?

where did you leave the demijohn overnight ? if it got too cold it could have shocked the yeast and caused it to stall

where did you leave the demijohn overnight ? if it got too cold it could have shocked the yeast and caused it to stall

in a cupboard upstairs.

How I think about it, the water was pretty warm when I put everything in the Demijon. What's the hottest that Yeast can stand?

Is it worth throwing another sachet in?

Simon, my first wine brew was with wilko yeast (Root ginger and lemon wine). After 24hrs i was in same position as you are now! it was 48hrsplus before fermentation started. (as it goes, the wine ended up working out really well)
If i was you, id leave it till 48hrs before acting - then maybe make a yeast starter and add that, with another 1/4 teaspoon nutrient

just as a thought, for your next brew get some lalvin or vinters harvest yeast - it only costs a few pence more (ebay) than the wilko stuff, and comes with good reputation

good luck pal

If this is in a plastic FV don't worry a lot are not airtight also 24 hours is too soon to decide it is not fermenting, give it time and if you don't have one get a hydrometer you will need it later.

If this is in a plastic FV don't worry a lot are not airtight also 24 hours is too soon to decide it is not fermenting, give it time and if you don't have one get a hydrometer you will need it later.

It's a glass demijon with a rubber bung. I'll check it again tonight & see whether it's going or not yet.

48 hours later, it still wasn't fermenting.

I soaked another sachet of yeast in warm water with half a spoon of sugar & a pinch of yeast nutrient for an hour. That seemed to make it pretty lively, so I've added it to the Demijohn now,

48 hours later, it still wasn't fermenting.

I soaked another sachet of yeast in warm water with half a spoon of sugar & a pinch of yeast nutrient for an hour. That seemed to make it pretty lively, so I've added it to the Demijohn now,

Is your kesar mango wine a continuation of this thread ?

Back