Help wit Sloe and Blackberry wine!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bandit081

Reaction score
What a plonker, I put 5 Gallons of Sloe and Blackberry in a fermenting bin without the yeats or sugars to allow the flavour to get in to the water, I only went on Holiday and forgot to add the yeast and sugar before I went away.

I came back a week later to all the fruit sunken to the bottom so well infused with the liquid, but there are a few small patches of floating mold spores on the surface.

I really realy want to save the must so was thinking of putting in some campden tablets to kill any bacteria and then maybe adding the yeast a few days later, what do you think guys, have I buggered it up or can it be saved?

Please let it be saved!

Skim it, strain it and hit it with a double dose of Campdens, you'll probably get away with it.

No I isn't, I only said “probably”, no guarantees, but if it was mine I would still give it a shot.

Double dose of Campdens, pitch yeast after 48 hours, just give it a kilo of sugar for starters and check there are no bad smells or tastes before adding the rest after a week or so.

Hi Moley, I did the skimming bit last night and added a double dose of Campden tablets, Im assuming the yeast will be safe from the campden tablets after 48 hours ref your previous post.

The must smells lovely, a bit like vimto, I didnt have the nadgers to taste it yet, I thought id let the tabs do their thing first lol.

Ill take a piccy tonight and shove it up on here tomorrow, there are some remaining mould spores floating at the top of the must but Im hoping they are gonna sink with the rest of the sediment!

Latest posts

Back