Help with error with wine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lawrence R

Reaction score
Can anyone advise. I’ve never made my own wine, but was offered some grapes. For reasons too stupid to explain I added potassium Sorbate to the must at the same time as I pitched the yeast. No sign of any fermentation after 48 hours. Is this an irredeemable, does the Sorbate get “used up”, will another pitch in a week or so work? V open to advice.

I did this a few weeks ago in a wine kit and saved it by rehydrating a new sachet of yeast as per instructions -

In the video he suggests using water at 105F (40C) i was a bit wary of such a high temperature so made mine to 25c and it worked.

Thanks for that. I thought that might be the solution. It seems Sorbate inhibits yeast budding, not fermentation. So a good quantity of viable yeast cells (ie a starter) ought to do the job. I’ll give it a go. I agree that 40 degrees seems bit warm.

Keep us posted.
Well that worked. I made a massive starter With wine yeast, nutrient, sugar and grape juice to compensate for lack of cell division once pitched and then pitched it. It’s now steadily fermenting away. I’ll keep an eye on the SG if it stops and do that again if necessary but it’s going v well at the moment. Cheers

Back