help with filling a medical o2 cylinder

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dan_loves_beer

Reaction score
i have come into posession of a medical o2 cylinder and regulator. it is empty but i was wondering if anyone knew about getting refills for this? would welding o2 be ok? would the regulator just fit to a welding tank?
appreciate any help :thumb:

O2 is extremely dangerous, No reg will fit unless its an oxygen reg. it has to be a oxygen grade reg as well the grease used in the is different. any cause of a spark near it pure o2 will result in a rather large fire.

63004.jpg

That is what happens to some scuba gear after a fire. The diver when to hospital with 3rd degree burns

Boc won't fill O2 unless you have an account. A scuba palce should not refill your bottle as you don't hold the qualifcations to purchase pure O2.
When was the Tank last tested and serviced??

So to sum up, it ain't worth it
. Yeah apparently so. Don't know when it was last serviced, I was surveying an old retirement home that was to be demolished where I found it. The regulator and mask looks good as new, cylinder is stuffed. So there is no way I can use the medical regulator on welding oxygen tank then? :( thought I had a good find

Medical oxygen reg should be an "A" clamp type fitting where as a oxygen bottle from a industrial cutting bottle will be a Female thread on the tank.

Why would you want O2 anyway??

I thought o2 was the best thing for wort aerating? ?
Especially for high gravity beers. Air pumps will never get above 8 ppm,
What does everyone else use ? ?

2ft fall from boiler to fv :whistle: Brewed up to 16% on that.

Don't believe in adding oxygen for the fermentation, would consider for growing starters and cultures but that would just be an air pump.

If you go that way just treat it a highly flammable gas, don't vent it in an enclosed enviroment and make sure you have all the correct gear for handling it.

This seems strange. I go down to my local welding shop once a month and do nitro, CO2, and O2 exchanges with no problem.

Thats the difference between Usa and nanny state :thumb: Co2 and nitro fine. O2 you need accounts and then your looking at £150 per year bottle rental per bottle

As has been said earlier.. O2 is a strong oxidiser . And it really aids combustion.. As long as proper safety precautions are taken then it is as safe as any other chemical.

can yeast survive on pure o2 alone?

Back