Help with finding a turbo cider recipe

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jack135

Reaction score
Hi all,

i’ve made 2 beer kits previously and now want to try a simple cider.
I don’t like fizzy ciders very much, i prefer a scrumpy type.

So my main question is, what’s the best turbo recipe for me to follow that is on this site?
I don’t want anything too overly complicated as I’m still learning and only have a basic set up.
Or are all turbo ciders fizzy?

Did have a look around on the forums and couldn’t really find what I was after.

thanks!

Would anyone know if missing the priming stage would lower the alcohol volume? Or is that all done before priming? I still don’t fully understand the alcohol part of brewing haha

No all the sugar has already turned into alcohol the little sugar you add to prime is just for that purpose and doesn't alter the ABV

Last edited:
No all the sugar has already turned into alcohol the little sugar you add to prime is just for that purpose and doesn't alter the ABV

Chippy - I thought adding 3-4g of sugar for priming gave up to .5% alcohol increase?

Been reading thru the TC threads/topics tonight.
Now before I embark upon the basic TC recipe - I like a medium sweetness cider, how do I get some sweetness back in the mix? I read somewhere to add artificial sweetener of some kind? - after the fermentation?
I plan to batch prime it prior to bottling.
Can I use ale yeast or champagne or is there a good yeast for cider?
TIA

Been reading thru the TC threads/topics tonight.
Now before I embark upon the basic TC recipe - I like a medium sweetness cider, how do I get some sweetness back in the mix? I read somewhere to add artificial sweetener of some kind? - after the fermentation?
Can I use ale yeast or champagne or is there a good yeast for cider?
TIA
You can back sweeten with stevia or similar and there is also yeast available for this purpose. I have done a few with ale yeast and one with lager yeast which have turned out quite nice leaving residual sweetness as it doesn't ferment dry.

You can back sweeten with stevia or similar and there is also yeast available for this purpose. I have done a few with ale yeast and one with lager yeast which have turned out quite nice leaving residual sweetness as it doesn't ferment dry.

So to start off...and i cant wait for mail order..i was going to try the wilko ale or wine yeasts... what do you think?

I used (cheap) Cologran tabs from Lidl at the rate of 4 per litre which was right for me. If you aren't sure how much to use, experiment beforehand dissolving some in water to test for sweetness like I did, or use different rates in batches of bottles. And I just dropped the tabs in the bottles, they dissolve before the cider is ready to drink.
But as for the TC itself, I love scrumpy too but was disappointed with my effort, it was thin and barely tasted like proper cider, and took months before it came good. I can undertsnad why many poeple add fruit juice to give it a boost. Anyway I haven't bothered again. I hope yours turns out better

Rule of thumb is half a 5g pack for one DJ and the whole pack for up to 23l

I was thinking of yeast amounts last night and of splitting sachets between 1 gallon demijohns.

I noticed some 5g packs state 23/5L whereas some say 5L.
I've just ordered crossmyloof sachets and the say 5L.
Wilko sachets say 5L on website.
Youngs say up to 23L .

Anyway i stumbled on this.

https://blog.eckraus.com/how-much-wine-yeast-to-use
The poor bloke gets some repetitive questions ffs 🙄😁
Anyway the jist is 5g for anything up to 25L.
Less could stress the yeast.

Not sure why some packs are saying only 5L ???

Anyway, I got another 5L of turbo on the go the other day, inspired from your recipe.
Although i made the mistake of over filling the DJ (brown bottle, didn't check/see level 🙄 )
And its frothing over like a mad thing 😳

Put another sanitised airlock and bung on today and moved to a cooler place for now 👍🤞

I'll get round to doing your full recipe as soon as i can 👍

Back