Help with new regulator

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DocAnna

Queen's Knot Brewing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Calling all you expert engineering types šŸ˜€. I've been wanting to move to a wall mounted regulator for a while now, partly to do with a planned project to do with the canner, but that's for another thread sometime. I've picked up a new compound regulator off ebay as below for a pretty good price. My question is, what will the left most output provide in terms of pressure? I'm thinking that the left side regulator is primary, with the output at the 'carbonator' the pressure off the primary - but that this pressure will actually be shown at the far right dial - is my thinking right on this?
Also can anyone explain what the odd silver thing is between the primary and secondary regulators?

Thank you lots x

s-l1600.jpeg

Found this
https://www.booth-dispensers.co.uk/...s/3-STAGE-SD-CO2-REGULATOR-ASSEMBLY-REGODL01A
2FD7B8D3-59AC-406D-9392-591EE6E09474.png

Iā€™m guessing the silver thing is the safety blow-off valve. The left most regulator (primary) drops cylinder pressure to a ā€œusableā€ pressure and Iā€™d guess is available at the leftmost port for connecting another secondary. I agree, the rightmost gauge is the primary regulated pressure (bizarrely available at the leftmost port. Thatā€™s my best guess :confused.:

Calling all you expert engineering types šŸ˜€. I've been wanting to move to a wall mounted regulator for a while now, partly to do with a planned project to do with the canner, but that's for another thread sometime. I've picked up a new compound regulator off ebay as below for a pretty good price. My question is, what will the left most output provide in terms of pressure? I'm thinking that the left side regulator is primary, with the output at the 'carbonator' the pressure off the primary - but that this pressure will actually be shown at the far right dial - is my thinking right on this?
Also can anyone explain what the odd silver thing is between the primary and secondary regulators?

Thank you lots x

View attachment 81271
Hi Anna, I've got one of these & what you describe is exactly right.

I've actually got an issue with mine of a very slow leak even when not attached to any kegs. I think the problem is either internal or with the connection to the cylinder itself. Would you mind telling me what type of washer you have at the connection to the cylinder?

Hi Anna, I've got one of these & what you describe is exactly right.

I've actually got an issue with mine of a very slow leak even when not attached to any kegs. I think the problem is either internal or with the connection to the cylinder itself. Would you mind telling me what type of washer you have at the connection to the cylinder?
It's not arrived yet and I'm away in London next week, but will get back to you once I'm home and have checked it out šŸ˜€

They are often fitted to pressure gauges to restrict flow in the event of a blowout anywhere downstream of said snubbed. Means if some thing blows you don't have a full bore leak of several hundred bar, stored energy being the enemy in that scenario.

Bit of an "olden days" style regulator given a new "lease of life" with some flowery sales pitch (reading @Buffers brewery's post). But don't worry about that, it still does the job.

It does appear to be in a primary/secondary configuration (the sceptic in me would say all three regulators are identical and in daisy-chained "pass-through" but that wouldn't fit the description in @Buffers brewery's post). So, the leftmost is the primary and Its gauge showing the cylinder pressure (a crazy 250 BAR range ... it'll show 60-90 BAR with liquid CO2 , don't expect accuracy on these high-pressure gauges, but you don't need it.

The right-hand gauge must be showing the "bus-pressure" that's supplied to the two secondaries, and the output from the primary (for "carbonation"?). The output from the secondaries is effectively the same as an expensive "dual stage" regulator. So, the output isn't subject to "end-of-tank-dump" which will kill all your fish ... ahh, we're talking "beer", well it will make it easier on them to hold fairly accurate outputs (down to about 7PSI).

And then we come to "3-stage" (from @Buffers brewery's post). Very important ... if you're a sales/marketing type. Complete B.S.! Probably refers to there being three regulators, perhaps?

Latest posts

Back