Help!!!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davybarman

Regular.
Reaction score
Hello all you cider gurus

Gonna make my first TC tomorrow. Now not going for the traditional dry funky cider.

Due to my stomach I can't have dry cider as find it to acidic so am going to back sweeten with splenda or something similar.

My question should I add this at the beginning? I want a slightly fizzy cider and realise this can't be added when bottling as this will kill of any fizz.

Thank for any help n tips

I've only recently started experimenting with sweetener and have added it at the beginning.
It could go in at bottling time though.
I don't see how it affects the acidity - the perceived acidity maybe, but you still have the same amount of acid in there. Actually with mine the perceived acidity is pretty much the same with or without sweetener.
You might be better off getting some precipitated chalk from a homebrew shop and sticking that in at the beginning, it would remove some acid.
oooooo, new experiment...

Cheers Oldbloke.

It's the same with wine. A dry white wine does me absolutely no good.

Roughly how much sweetener are you putting in at the start?

Haven't done much yet. Bought some Morrison's own-brand sweetener. Did 2 gallons of my default TC recipe, one with 4tsp, one with 8 tsp. Barely notice the 4 as actually sweet. The 8 is maybe a bit too obvious, to somebody who just wants the edge taken off rather than actual sweetness. So I've started 2 gallons with 6tsp, but they're still fermenting.
Other people round here have been using sweetener longer than me though....

Back