HERMS coil in HLT v HERMS coil in separate heat-ex kettle

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Having it in a heat exchange kettle means you are only heating a couple of litres of water vs 30+ litres. Temp changes are quicker in 2 litres vs 30+ litres for recirculating, stepped mashes, mash-out etc.

Yep, the smaller the volume of water around the heat exchanger the faster it can respond and the more accurately it'll control the temperature. :thumb:

I can't really think of a downside of having it in a separate kettle apart from a little extra space and expense. It only takes a £5 supermarket kettle and a coil of pipe, though.

Sorry to hijack this post but I was going to ask the same questions. Do you guys reckon Theres a maximum size of "external boiler" before it stops becoming efficient anymore? I want to be continually circulating water between the liquor tank and this external system with a pump and a pid to control temp and then a coil inside the external heater so that wort can flow through it circulating through the hot water

To be honest, I'd seen the designated heat exhanger model on here before I knew much about HERMS or brewing, but then came across quiet a few using the HTL as the heat exchanger - any from the States. I quite agree that a designated heat exchanger makes more sense in that it gives more control. Also, how I am suppose to heat sparge water in the HTL whilst trying to maintain the right temperature in the mash tun?

Dennis

Nope, not missing anything Jim, as for Dennis's points I just don't get them unless they have massively over rated burners...and even then I'd want to see it in action to be convinced.

Back