Hi From Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brushwarrior

Reaction score
Hi
My name is Steve aka Stevo and started to get back into wine making after a friend had me sample some of his wine!
Now looking for a simple recipe for mead. Can i use cheap honey (value or basic) and what needs to be added to it.
Dont have a heating belt yet, is it needed?

Cheers
Steve
Bury St. Edmunds
Suffolk

Hi Steve, You can use any honey but look for a nice dense one, The cheaper brands and Value honeys won't give your mead much body. Rowes pure and natural is a good honey, 3 lb to a gallon. It's simple to make.

1 gallon mead

Prep and Sterilize!!!!

3lb honey
Citrus....either 1 orange sliced or juice of half a lemon
24 raisins (as nutrient)
1 gal mineral or spring water ( non of the nasties of tap water such as chlorine etc)
wine/champagne yeast

Heat 1 ltr water but don't boil it add honey and stir until dissolved
pour into demijohn allow to cool to room temp
add raisins and citrus
fill to about 2 inch from top of fermenter with water
shake like mad for a couple of mins to get your mix nice and oxidised
ad yeast and give a swirl
pop in your airlock and leave for about 4 months or until your fruit have all sunken to the bottom

It'll start to clear at around 2.5 months but will taste like battery acid, drink at 4 months or leave for as long as you like, it will darken with age but it's worth it :-) I'm onto my 5th batch this year

Thanks meadintyneside :cheers:
will follow this, just need a decent supplier of ingredients. also the heads up on rough time scale :-)
glad i joined this forum :thumb: :thumb:
mead here we come

Back