Hi from SW London

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ajhutch

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm a new home brewer, started just after Christmas last year (presents!) and done a few extract batches already. I've already enjoyed reading a lot of the useful info on here (the epic mini kegs thread was great) and looking forward to interacting more as I continue with the hobby. I'm hoping to step up to all grain shortly but subject to some fairly significant space restrictions (more in terms of storage than kitchen/brewing space) so will be browsing the equipment threads for some useful ideas, I'd greatly appreciate useful links to starting places!

Welcome..theres quite a few of you here from S London now

Welcome, looks like you truly caught the bug at an accelerated pace!

small space isn't a problem you just have to pick a setup which works for you and you may have seen that no "one size fits all" with AG. Essentially we all do the same processes (within reason) and achiedve the same thing with completeley different equipment..

You def sound like a candidate for BIAB system.. first thing to consider is batch size (assuming you want to still do around 20-23L mark?) and then its gas or electric.. (if you're doing smaller batches however the situation often becomes simplier as many people can do a smaller batch on their stove)

Welcome to the forum

I'm in SE London so know about brewing and space restrictions. It's good you've read the MK thread because they're great if you havent a lot of space. You can squirrel the equivalent of 10x500ml bottles away in not much more space than 4 normally takes up and dot them easily around your home in place like the bookshelf in front of the books and in the sterio shelf (a couple of the places I have them)

Hello and welcome, I worked in se16 for about 7 years, still miss the market there

Welcome, looks like you truly caught the bug at an accelerated pace!

small space isn't a problem you just have to pick a setup which works for you and you may have seen that no "one size fits all" with AG. Essentially we all do the same processes (within reason) and achiedve the same thing with completeley different equipment..

You def sound like a candidate for BIAB system.. first thing to consider is batch size (assuming you want to still do around 20-23L mark?) and then its gas or electric.. (if you're doing smaller batches however the situation often becomes simplier as many people can do a smaller batch on their stove)

Always the way isn't it, when it was triathlons I made a calendar of all the events I would enter (didn't do most of them), when it was cycling I made great plans for all the upgrades I was going to build (didn't do any of them beyond new tyres!) and now I've got 14 recipes planned in BeerSmith!

I agree re BIAB, will definitely go down that route. My current FV is 15 litres which I chose largely for space reasons and also because it's about the right amount in terms of what would be drunk. Having said that I'd probably look at a boiler that could handle 23 litre batches just to future proof as it were. For the same reason I lean towards electric, also means I don't risk ruining a pretty new gas hob! The Peco electric boiler looks decent value at around £80, I wonder if it's worth spending the extra £25 or so for the version with temperature control during the mash.

Always the way isn't it, when it was triathlons I made a calendar of all the events I would enter (didn't do most of them), when it was cycling I made great plans for all the upgrades I was going to build (didn't do any of them beyond new tyres!) and now I've got 14 recipes planned in BeerSmith!

I agree re BIAB, will definitely go down that route. My current FV is 15 litres which I chose largely for space reasons and also because it's about the right amount in terms of what would be drunk. Having said that I'd probably look at a boiler that could handle 23 litre batches just to future proof as it were. For the same reason I lean towards electric, also means I don't risk ruining a pretty new gas hob! The Peco electric boiler looks decent value at around �£80, I wonder if it's worth spending the extra �£25 or so for the version with temperature control during the mash.

Plenty of people here have and use the peco, its a good way to get going on AG..

Not sure on teh temp controlleron that one, you;d have to ask.. I have this slight worry it wouldn't be accurate enough but I guess you'd have to calibrate it

Latest posts

Back