HI New to the forum and the brew

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fletcher

Reaction score
Hi all Im new to the all making your own wine lark...just bought a kit for Chardonnay-Kenridge.

Already think Ive got the bug but want to really take up the hobby seriously

Can anyone advice on basic (starter) equiptment

Thanks in advance

F

go to a brewing shop equipped with 100 pounds and you will get alot of stuff and lots of advice too thats what i did 4 mnths ago and havent looked back thanks to the forum! i now have four fv,s, 5 demijohns loadsa bottles allsorts of other thing inc yeasts,pectolas syphons, hydrometers etcc........ :thumb:

Hi 100 seems not too much to spend I guess but would like to go in with a list of essentials I think.

Thanks for yr advice though.

What have you made in yr four months out of interest?

If you don't mind sharing.

well where to start ? ok from the top!
40 pints canadian lager
40 pints german lager
40 pints of wilkos bitter
40 pints woodfordes headcracker (still fermenting)
1 gallon of elderflower wine kit
1 gallon of chardonnay kit
1 gallon of turbo cider
25 litres of fiery ginger beer started tonight ( smells amazin.)
and a few mistakes besides that went down the drain unfortunately! :thumb:

Hi Fletcher and welcome to the forum :cheers:

In order to answer your question, it would help if I knew what you were hoping to make. You've said that you've bought a Chardonnay kit, is that on-the-go yet?

Where are you based, have you found a LHBS (Local HomeBrew Shop) or do you have a local branch of Wilkinson's?

First off, you need something to ferment in. Glass demijohns (or DJs) are best but around £6 each unless you can find any at charity shops, car boot sales or through Freecycle. 5 litre PETs (supermarket plastic mineral water bottles) are a cheap alternative for short-term wines. You will also need airlocks and drilled corks or bungs. You also need at least one spare DJ when it comes to racking.

Hygiene is all-important so you should have some cleaner/steriliser in powder or liquid form. I use powders like Steri-Cleen or Young's cleaner & steriliser for my DJs and any plastics, and a Milton type liquid steriliser or cheap thin bleach for my other glassware. You will also need a bottle brush and a DJ brush.

A hydrometer and trial jar is essential, £5.

If you're likely to be making wines from fruits you will need one or two large, lidded buckets, a long-handled plastic spoon and some method of straining such as muslin or nylon bags. Any decent LHBS should have 3 and 5 gallon buckets. If you're making large volume wines, the Young's 5 gallon fermenters (around £11 from Wilko) are excellent.

If you are making kit wines then everything should be included. To be honest I wouldn't really know, although I am quite a prolific winemaker I have never used a kit and never will. If you move on to juices or fruits/veggies you will need pills, potions and powders such as Campden Tablets, Pectolase, Citric Acid, Tannin, maybe Glycerine, and of course yeast and yeast nutrient. These are usually in the range of £1-2 per pot but go quite a long way.

Juice wines are dead simple and should give you something really quite acceptable for around 50p a bottle, and this thread should show some basic guidelines.

Thanks to you all for the welcome and to Moley esp for the list of starter equipt. I can get to a lhbs so thats not a problem and like you I really want to move away from kits and on to perhaps fruit wines.

alandkell you have been so busy. This weekend Im off to the shop and gonna stock up and get going, making the kit chardonnay, its only at primary ferm stage just didn't feel right.

Thanks again for all your help and advice. :)

yep and im still busy gonna do another beer this week along with the tomato challenge wine hope your chardonnay turns out as nice as mine good luck and enjoy yourself m8y! :thumb: :cheers:

Latest posts

Back