High fermentation temp

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ellskitchen

Reaction score
I'm fermenting an oatmeal stout that got to nearly 35c today. Its on day 8 of fermentation. The thermometer got knocked off the FV and was measuring the room temp and constantly trying to heat. My guess is since Saturday afternoon so probably hitting 25+ sometime Sunday and 35c today. I'm guessing the yeast will have died off so any thoughts on saving it or is it just going to taste nasty and not be worth it?

I'm fermenting an oatmeal stout that got to nearly 35c today. Its on day 8 of fermentation. The thermometer got knocked off the FV and was measuring the room temp and constantly trying to heat. My guess is since Saturday afternoon so probably hitting 25+ sometime Sunday and 35c today. I'm guessing the yeast will have died off so any thoughts on saving it or is it just going to taste nasty and not be worth it?
Never give up hope mate. What yeast are you using?

Gervin is repackaged Nottingham yeast, so the chances are it completed primary fermentation sometime last week. I’ve yet to see Nottingham take more than 4-5 days at most to reach FG. I don’t make v big beers though - what was your OG?

If that’s the case for you then it was probably already at the clean up stage before your temperature mishap. Your beer will probably be fine.

I always rehydrate yeast in 30° water and pasteurisation temp is 60° so, although it’s possible, I don’t think you’ll have killed it all off at 35°. If there is an issue with the yeast failing, the only problem might be carbonation.

You could always take a sample, add some sugar and see if the yeast is still viable by checking for activity (this might be visible, or stick some cling film over the top and see if it expands with CO2).

Last edited:
Gervin is repackaged Nottingham yeast, so the chances are it completed primary fermentation sometime last week. I’ve yet to see Nottingham take more than 4-5 days at most to reach FG. I don’t make v big beers though - what was your OG?

If that’s the case for you then it was probably already at the clean up stage before your temperature mishap. Your beer will probably be fine.

I always rehydrate yeast in 30° water and pasteurisation temp is 60° so, although it’s possible, I don’t think you’ll have killed it all off at 35°. If there is an issue with the yeast failing, the only problem might be carbonation.

You could always take a sample, add some sugar and see if the yeast is still viable by checking for activity (this might be visible, or stick some cling film over the top and see if it expands with CO2).
Yeah good idea. I'll do that. Primary had finished I'd say about 2 days before so fingers crossed. OG was 1.060 its not overly strong usually about 5.8

Yeah good idea. I'll do that. Primary had finished I'd say about 2 days before so fingers crossed. OG was 1.060 its not overly strong usually about 5.8
What’s your set up for fermentation? Fermentation fridge with an Inkbird etc etc? Chances are the wort/beer didn’t reach those temperatures. It could be that your ambient temp was high but that was it. It does sound as though you are safe though. So that’s good. 👍🍻

What’s your set up for fermentation? Fermentation fridge with an Inkbird etc etc? Chances are the wort/beer didn’t reach those temperatures. It could be that your ambient temp was high but that was it. It does sound as though you are safe though. So that’s good. 👍🍻
It's in the kitchen with an inkbird and heat belt. Kitchen is about 14c or so and beer usually sits at about 18-19. It did get really hot. Its a stainless steel FV and when I put my hand on it it felt higher than body temp which is how I realised. I've cooled it to 18. Primary is done its only 4 points off FG so I might get away with it.

It's in the kitchen with an inkbird and heat belt. Kitchen is about 14c or so and beer usually sits at about 18-19. It did get really hot. Its a stainless steel FV and when I put my hand on it it felt higher than body temp which is how I realised. I've cooled it to 18. Primary is done its only 4 points off FG so I might get away with it.
Sounds like a decent set up. Personally I find my kitchen is not a good place to ferment. I am always baking bread and cooking lots, so the ambient temp is up and down like a pair of drawers on a profitable Friday night.
Yeast prefers it nice and stable. Though it sounds like you have your temps well managed.
Anyway, sounds like the beer might have survived the mishap. Good luck and enjoy. I am sure it will be tasty.

You're probably fine. Like others said, it was done last week. First few days are when you get off flavors running too hot.

Your situation isn't optimal but it'll be okay.

I am about to do an AG using Wilko Gervin yeast and would welcome opinions about temperature. I do not use heaters or any form of temperature control and use an FV that once sited and brewing cannot be moved. The spare bedroom is south facing and on hot days fermentation could easily exceed 25°C and would fluctuate. Alternatively I could brew in a shaded semi external utility room where the temperature is more stable and typically between 12 and 15°C. I am inclined to the latter as I understand Nottingham yeast can ferment at as low as 10°C and the Wilko Gervin is the same but views would be welcome please.

Hello, Wine can spoil with too much heat and maintaining a consistent temperature helps. Normally around 20-22 C. I keep in a cool place and use an electrically heated brewbelt. It can help to start low 18-20 and allow to build up to say 23 C (add insulation jacket)
Good luck. Gervin or Lallemand yeasts recommended

Thanks. Today the weather is dull yet the utility is still at 15°C so if anything is likely to rise a little. I was intending to pitch at about 19 and was taking the view that heat generated by fermentation would counteract the lower ambient temperature resulting in an average range of eg. 16 to 19 which I think will be preferable to the bedroom which could get overheated but this is always assuming Gervin does perform properly at the lower temperature which I was seeking reassurance on.

Hi GV 5 & GV6 are the only Gervin yeasts that allow really quite low temperatures and really only for white wines. Expect about4 C rise from the heat of fermentation and a top heat of 23 C would be good. No tried GV1 the universal yeast at really low temps.

Latest posts

Back