Highest ABV

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
12% imperial stout is pretty easy to do. Thats with us05 too. I don't quite have the mashing capacity so bump things up with dme to reach my target og.
Finished with maturation on vanilla. Absolutely brilliant stuff and really easy to make. The dark colour, high alcohol and vanilla masks all sorts of cockups!
I'd be wanted to do it with a malt extract kit though.

This is based on one of JZ's extract RIS recipes:

Czar's Revenge

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 21
Original Gravity (OG): 1.101
Final Gravity (FG): 1.030
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 9.3 %
Colour (SRM): 62
Bitterness (IBU): 76
Boil Time (Minutes): 60

Fermentables
----------------
5.0 kg Dry Malt Extract - Light (76%)

Steeping Grains
----------------
500 g Roasted Barley (8%)
450 g Special-B (7%)
200 g Caramunich II (3%)
200 g Chocolate (3%)
200 g Chocolate, Pale (3%)

Hop Bill
----------------
70 g Horizon Pellet (13% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
50 g East Kent Golding Pellet (5.5% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil)
50 g East Kent Golding Pellet (5.5% Alpha) @ 1 Minutes (Boil)

Fermented at 19°C with Safale US-05

9.4% Coopers devil's ruby porter. Bit of a creeper when drinking as it ambushes you and then you have muddled your wits before you even know it. Very delicious though.

… That you have personally brewed?

Only reason I ask is I love my Imperial Stouts, And I'm looking at brewing an Imperial Cognac Stout and somehow boosting it 15-16% ABV!

But come on, let me know what you've done, I'm interested.

My current highest is my wonderfully named Peanut Butter Coffee Chocolate Porter at 7.8% ABV.
Not quite from scratch, in fact nothing like from scratch; Bulldog IPA, ‘Evil Dog’ Damned nice beer but 7.5% makes it mainly a weekend tipple

Not quite from scratch, in fact nothing like from scratch; Bulldog IPA, ‘Evil Dog’ Damned nice beer but 7.5% makes it mainly a weekend tipple
Bottled that one a couple of months back! It's lovely, I added Grapefruit to mine.

Latest posts

Back