HLT HERMS - 5 Servo control for Proportional Mixing

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drut

Reaction score
HLT HERMS - Servo control for Proportional Mixing.

None of this is relevant if you are looking at solenoid driven valves!

Please note - this does not include finished detailed circuits, it is a few ideas for those who know a bit of electronics. I have made something along these lines but have not fully tested or toleranced the design.
The easiest way to achieve a variable flow is with motorised valves - there are many examples including central heating.
The cheapest way to implement a motorised valve is with an off-the-shelf servo, typically used in Radio Controlled models. It contains the motor and gears at a fraction of the individual part cost.
The simplest way to control this servo is by removing part of the case and connecting directly to the motor. The drive from the PID makes the motor run in one direction for "hotter" and the other for "cooler" (some form of current limiting will be needed). However the method shown here does not involve taking the servo apart and would suit any similar servo with sufficient stall torque.

The outputs from a standard inexpensive eBay PID (TET612, N2006P) include a relay with normally open and normally closed contacts or a Solid State Relay drive of 8V open circuit and 40mA short circuit.
In this case I have chosen to use the SSR output. It can be set to have a maximum repetition rate of 2 seconds and the time it is "on" is determined by the heat requirement of the system.
This is not directly compatible with an off-the-shelf servo mechanism:
Taken from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Servomechanism -
"The servo expects a pulse every 20 ms in order to gain correct information about the angle. The width of the servo pulse dictates the range of the servo's angular motion.
A servo pulse of 1.5 ms width will typically set the servo to its "neutral" position or 45°, a pulse of 1.25 ms could set it to 0° and a pulse of 1.75 ms to 90°."

The interface will therefore need to convert a comparatively slow on/off signal into a 50Hz rectangular signal.

The MG955 servo used here seems to be widely available and is considered to be one of the worst on the market - however, it is very cheap and adequate for this application.
e.g. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... AQ:GB:1123
http://www.rcmodelreviews.com/chineseservos1.shtml

This is a basic "start point" circuit - it will not be fully practical as it stands:

Servointerfacestart.jpg

Q1 averages the digital drive pulses to give an analogue equivalent at the LM311 pin 2.
The 555 produces a ramp with a period of 20msec.
The LM311 produces pulses with an on time dependant on the PID output.

As I have said elsewhere, this servo control and the PID controller function are crying out for an Arduino. The libraries are readily available and will require a limited amount of modification and integration to produce a complete controller.
The temperature controller for the HLT could then be added to complete the project.

Thanks Drut for posting some very useful info.
I won't be using it just now but I'd imagine that HERMs will appear on the brewery improvement roadmap at some point in the future, at which point I shall be poring over your posts looking v thoughtful.

:mrgreen: cor wish I had the time to do what you have done. Well done, your experiments are superb, and your writing very concise, including all the important H&S information that sometimes gets neglected.
I see why you say you need to look into using Arduino. I did a project that involved quite a bit of electronics which a year or two later could have been done in an hour using PIC chips. Now with Arduino I reckon it'd take minutes!
May I also congratulate you on your neatness/tidiness of your circuits - very harry beck like!

I see that your set up is only based on heating using heating elements. How easily do you think this could be adopted to control using gas? I have seen an example of someone using valves to control the gas input to control heat and thus temperature.

Final question - I'm about to move to PID control of my mashtun - in your opinion where do you think is the best place to place the sensor to measure the wort temperature? (I think your answer will be on the outflow of the HERMS unit but I am curious to know why you think this :) )

Hi,
I was very interested to read this thread, and then to see the reference to Arduino. I read up a bit on this. As an ex-programmer, it appealed to me.

Does anyone have any thoughts as to how this would work as a PID instead of one of the ebay controllers?

I would have thought is was possible to site multiple sensors in the system and adapt the programming.

Hi Drut,

I remember discussing the relative merits of recirculating through a coil in the HLT in order to regulate temperature in the mash. Many poo poo'd the idea though we know it was workable with two solenoid valves diverting the flow but preferably a variable control valve. I nearly went for the solenoid valves but confess I'm now going down the more conventional seperate small vessel with an element route. I like the look of your system though it's a bit of a step too far for me, keeping things as cheap as I can.
PJ

Back