Holp!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeezyPeezy

Reaction score
Hi guys!

Can someone tell me what is the difference between whole and pellet hops?

Is it one pellet to one flower?
Any pros or cons of using a particular type?
Is one more potent?

I'm dry hopping a Cascade SMaSH with pellets (previously only ever used whole hops) this weekend and I've just had a brain fart about it.

Lastly, sorry if I've asked in the wrong place!

My preference is now pellets for dry hopping. They sink down after several days and don't block syphons and taps.

Conversely I prefer full flowers in the boil. The pellets tend to block the mesh filter on my boiling pot.

I also suspect that the smaller hop particles in pellets will release more aroma when dry hopping but I've not compared side by side.

Either is fine both have advantages and disadvantages..

Make sure you specify on a recipe builder if you're using pellet or hops.. Pellets I think are a bit more efficient. Leaf got to admit feels nicer and they can filter hop filters better but also suck up more wort.

Either is fine, if I was told I could only ever use one type again I would opt for Pellet

There are so many arguments over which is best. And some of that depends on your equipment. You will need less pellets in your recipe compared to leaf versions

My preference is now pellets for dry hopping. They sink down after several days and don't block syphons and taps.

Conversely I prefer full flowers in the boil. The pellets tend to block the mesh filter on my boiling pot.

I also suspect that the smaller hop particles in pellets will release more aroma when dry hopping but I've not compared side by side.

I would tend to agree with this analysis. Thanks, Mike!

I have almost always used leaf and only recently with the Slovenian hops started with the pellets. I did find the flavour just as good if not better however Hops in the boil form a lovely filter on the false bottom that you do not get with the pellets. resulting wort from pellets is more cloudy going into fermenter. This is not a massive problem but going from leaf to hops it does seem like a step downwards when you see this.

The owner of a local brewery pretty much told me the same about the flowers. He said they act in a similar way to the grain in the mash as a secondary filter for the trub.

Just don't use whole hops for cold-hopping unless you like it messy. Pellets are better for that since they tend to settle down on the bottom of FV.
Otherwise for boiling it doesn't really matter.

Latest posts

Back