Home brewing for charity?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobWalker

Reaction score
So, how legal is it to "sell" home brewed beers for charity? I like to do something every year, and I'm thinking a batch in bottles would convince people to hand over £2 for a good cause!

How about giving them away if someone makes a donation of at least £2 to charity.... Or sell something worthless for £2 and throw in a free bottle of booze :whistle:

Not saying they are legal just thinking outside of the box (or should that be bottle?)

bluebell said:
How about giving them away if someone makes a donation of at least £2 to charity.... Or sell something worthless for £2 and throw in a free bottle of booze
Maybe you could charge £2.00 for the crown top and the contents are free..... you'd probably get away with it considering the price of steel. ;)

BB :drink:

BarnsleyBrewer said:
bluebell said:
How about giving them away if someone makes a donation of at least £2 to charity.... Or sell something worthless for £2 and throw in a free bottle of booze
Maybe you could charge £2.00 for the crown top and the contents are free..... you'd probably get away with it considering the price of steel. ;)

No, No, No And NO!

Beer and wine brewed at home is for the personal consumption of the household ONLY . . . If you give it away you MUST pay duty on it.

And also the place\charity that is trading MUST hold a licence to sell alcohol!

I've run into the same thing on my side of the pond too. Closest thing to selling my beer I can do is go to a local craft brewery and brew my beer for them to sell. No kick backs to me other then my name on the tap list.

I had a look through the Beer Duty pdf from HMRC, most of this has been around for decades. The commercial brewer has to even account for losses and private use takings, and pay the duty on that as well. Did you know there is a Beer Duty Accounting Office? The document clearly lists two exemptions from beer duty, brewig for domestic consumption and for research/experimentation. No worries the duty will be collected!

If you read through it carefully, you will see they are not really exceptions.

Duty is not actually the hardest hurdle. You need to be registered for food production and suitably inspected etc... Also the council will require you have business planning permission for light industrial use (charity is still a business).

The premises does not need to be licensed as you could sell alcohol if you have a level 2 personal license from the council (this is a formality)

if there is folk selling homebaking there then technically you're the same as them. they go out and buy flour, sugar, yeast, eggs, hundreds n feckin thousands, they mix it all together and come up with a tasty product, we do exactly the same with slightly different ingredients.shimples! 6 and half a dozen my friend! :cheers: :D

Aleman said:
BarnsleyBrewer said:
bluebell said:

No, No, No And NO!

Beer and wine brewed at home is for the personal consumption of the household ONLY . . . If you give it away you MUST pay duty on it.

And also the place\charity that is trading MUST hold a licence to sell alcohol!

Does that mean we should not give a bottle to a friend, or post a bottle to a friend?

Producing food for general sale must be from a premises that is registered by the environmental department of the local council (cakes or beer), penalties can include 2years prison for bad offences (I.e you kill someone).

I am not sure if school / church fetes have a separate law or a blind eye is turned.

Latest posts

Back