Homebrew expectations vs. commercial beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would be very surprised if the beer GK entered was exactly the same as they sell.

I quite enjoy a a decent pint of this ,but then i am not a fan of over hopped beer .
It’s not an exceptional beer, but I always quote enjoy it on the occasion I want something a little lighter and easy to drink. Also with most of the pubs around me being Greene King it tends to be the cheapest beer on the menu, I still remember being quite surprised to get a five pounce note and some coins back from a £10 when I bought a couple, of pints of it last year.

I have my issues with Greene King but the IPA I still feel is a fairly respectable cask beer.

GK IPA was a decent session beer back in the day before accountants started to write the recipes.

Its a hobby not a contest
We're a competitive bunch in Australia, everything is a contest.:laugh8:
Exactly what was mentioned above, competitions enable the brewers to learn from their mistakes. Its not just a score card with numbers, its faults found or how to improve or how good it was, its the feedback which is important, not whether you won or didn't come anywhere.
I was always taught, whatever you do, always do it to the best of your ability.

Adds more ambiguity. Can I make a better beer than Carling? Yes, as I don't have to add DMS to my beers to meet consumer expectation. Can I make beer better than Carling? Absolutely not. I bet I don't even know 10% of what they know about brewing.
I think you're focusing too much on the commercial brewery's equipment and consistency rather than just making good beer with what you've got.

Sure if you had a water heater that could heat water to 0.00001 of a degree, or a mash tun that was so well insulated you lose no heat whatsoever, or all manner of hypothetical things.

You're comparing apples with oranges.

Focus more on YOUR ingredients and recipes. Get to know YOUR equipment and get YOUR processes nailed. You'll be making great beer in no time, and yes, it can easily be better than many commercial beers.

I make 10l batches Biab with a big saucepan on the hob and I've made some cracking beers. You don't need all the shiny equipment.

Back