Homebrew Headaches

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MagnusTS

Reaction score
I recently did a batch of Festival NZ Pilsner, and it has turned out to be pure headache juice. Just one bottle is giving me a splitting headache; I can feel the pain coming on even as I drink it.

I've done this kit before and not had headaches. This latest batch tastes OK, maybe not as good as my first batch, but no obvious off-flavours or anything.

Fermentation temperature may have been a bit on the high side. I didn't keep an eye on it at the time, but it may have been up at about 22-23C. It has taken a while to clear (3 weeks conditioning), and is still not quite there yet.

So would this be fusels causing my headaches? I must admit that I don't know much about them. I read that lower fermentation temp and longer fermentation to prevent them. But will they go away with ageing in the bottle or will I have to dump this whole batch?

It does sound like fusils. Unforetunately they wont condition out. I've read that if you lager a beer (cold condition at 1C-2C for several weeks) with fusils in it will reduce the taste of them but I've never tried this myself

I'd have thought it would be the fussel alcohols yeah, I had the same problem once and the beer was fine but the next day wasn't. I perciviered mind but it never got any better! Fussel alcohols don't condition out to my knowledge.

Hmm that's interesting, I had what I thought were fusel flavours in a tripel I made ages ago, the og was something like 1.080 and I just used a liquid yeast without a starter and no temp control through fermentation, a sure fire way to get a load of fusel alchohol! But nine months or so later they have conditioned out. Are you guys sure they don't condition out after extended time in the bottle?

I think they do/can age out (to some extent) but it takes quite a long time. Hide it away somewhere for 6 months and get another brew on in the meantime.

Fuselöl is not a particular chemical, it's simply a collection of different alcohols that were not really meant to be in there (we are only looking for ethanol). Depending on the variety it might be more chemically stable than the other, so not all will simply disappear with conditioning. From here there's only one thing that we can recommend; try it. If it is still the same after a couple of months, let's say February - toss it.

Another option can be sulphites, sometimes people are a bit sensitive for them. Do you sometimes eat moldy cheeses like brie or blue cheese? If so, does it give you a headache as well? Or is wine a headache juice for you?

Many years ago, draught Bass, brewed in Burton at the Bass brewery, always gave me a headache after a couple of pints. No idea if the latest stuff with the same name, allegedly brewed under contract by Marstons, does the same, since I have not had any in years.

Thanks folks,
It's a bit disappointing that the whole batch is pretty much ruined with no hope of mellowing out.
Maybe I'll foist it on my brother-in-law; he has a pretty high tolerance for hangovers.

Another option can be sulphites, sometimes people are a bit sensitive for them. Do you sometimes eat moldy cheeses like brie or blue cheese? If so, does it give you a headache as well? Or is wine a headache juice for you?

No, I don't normally get headaches. Cheese, wine, beer usually all fine (in moderation).

I got very a very similar symptom with San Miguel lager believe it or not, I could feel my heartbeat pounding in my brain as I drank it, and the next morning I had a dreadful headache that lasted most of the day, I didn't associate the two until another time ages later I found myself having a few and bang, headache in a bottle! Almost as soon as I swallowed it I was getting the same pain in my head. Strange eh.

I tried my NZP for the first time the other day, needs more time to condition, it was ok but a bit sweet, quite light in taste and not carbed enough yet, I'll leave it alone till Christmas I think, the sediment is also very floaty I'm hoping it'll stick to the bottles a bit better with time. I'd suggest you leave it till then as well then give one a try, it'll either agree with you or not and if not then keep it in just for your BIL, call it his special brew :lol:

Thanks Poochops, good advice. My sediment is also very floaty still. I'll leave it until Christmas and see how it is then.

I just checked the high-low thermometer in my brew cupboard. It says high of 24C (and a low of 18C). Is that too extreme? I might have to look into finding a better place for fermentation or getting some kind of temperature regulation.

I got very a very similar symptom with San Miguel

Poochops: I just re-read this post. Interestingly, the night I tried the NZP and got the splitting headache, I'd also had one small bottle of San Miguel. I just assumed it was the home-brew that caused the headache.

In the interests of science I tried another NZP last night, and no headache at all. Maybe I have a problem with San Miguel. Too small a sample size to say anything conclusively, but feeling re-assured that I can drink the NZP without inducing brain pain.

The NZP has still not cleared though.

Poochops: I just re-read this post. Interestingly, the night I tried the NZP and got the splitting headache, I'd also had one small bottle of San Miguel. I just assumed it was the home-brew that caused the headache.

In the interests of science I tried another NZP last night, and no headache at all. Maybe I have a problem with San Miguel. Too small a sample size to say anything conclusively, but feeling re-assured that I can drink the NZP without inducing brain pain.

The NZP has still not cleared though.

It might be a coincidence but with you trying the NZP again and not getting a headache it may well just be the SM, weird eh! I wouldn't touch the stuff again, but why don't you try a four pack on the weekend and report back :twisted:
My NZP is still cloudier than I'd expect by now, I put it all in the fridge on Sunday it's about 4 degrees now and the top inch in the bottle is clear, I think this one will take a while for everything to settle out and I'm thinking it's the hop pellets causing the haze rather than the yeast. It'll be right in the end though I'm sure, one for Christmas time it's a good job I've got plenty of alternatives stocked up.

Back