Homebrewing in Buxton

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saulgood88

Reaction score
Evening all,

I'm Saul from Buxton (lucky to be a mile from the brewery, 1/2 a mile from the tap room!) and recently got into homebrewing a couple of years ago. Followed the usual path of making a few box/bag kits then plunging into all grain kits. Moved onto making some of Brew Bros all grain kits in summer last year and now transitioning to building my first recipe along with getting into oxygen free transfers/kviek fermentations etc.

Been lurking on the forums since I started to find solutions to various problems and thought it was about time I made an account.

Look forward to speaking to you all,
Saul

And you are a very short bike ride to Thornbridge, love that region. Welcome.

Hi Saul I'm in Buxton too, pleased to meet a fellow local brewer. I've been going for just over 3 years now, it's a great hobby to get into

Hey 👋🏻 I’m based in Glossop and head to Buxton (mainly for the tap room) fairly often! Good luck on your first recipe!

Thanks for the warm welcome all.

I'm originally from Furness Vale so very familiar with Glossop and Whaley :)

Wonky, have you dabbled with water chemistry seeing as though we are probably using the same? Or tried using the free spring water?

Wonky, have you dabbled with water chemistry seeing as though we are probably using the same? Or tried using the free spring water?
Yes I do treat my water. The tap water is soft and acts as a good base for all styles, it is surface water from Sheffield way I believe rather than the well known mineral water. You probably could use the well water but it will be higher in various minerals so you might have to mix it with tap water to get it where you want it to be?

Do you use any brewing software? I use Brewfather and find it works really well with the water adjustments

I was always curious about using the spring there and almost brought home a couple buckets one time, I would be interested to hear if you did.

The mineral water emerges at a steady 27°C (80°F). Analysis of the water has indicated that it has a high magnesium content and that it originated from rainwater from around 5,000 years ago. The same spring water is bottled and sold as Buxton Mineral Water.[1][2][3]

I drank loads of it but in my teens I wasn’t brewing beer so took no particular interest in the ppm mineral content! 😂

When I was there you used to be served a glass of the water from the springs by a lady dressed in a nurses outfit (or am I exposing a schoolboy fantasy 😲).

Yes I do treat my water. The tap water is soft and acts as a good base for all styles, it is surface water from Sheffield way I believe rather than the well known mineral water. You probably could use the well water but it will be higher in various minerals so you might have to mix it with tap water to get it where you want it to be?

Do you use any brewing software? I use Brewfather and find it works really well with the water adjustments

I've just started playing with Brewfather but haven't really delved past building grain bills for the sake of learning. I'll have to give the water side of things a good look in the next few days. Thanks for the heads up.

I drank loads of it but in my teens I wasn’t brewing beer so took no particular interest in the ppm mineral content! 😂

When I was there you used to be served a glass of the water from the springs by a lady dressed in a nurses outfit (or am I exposing a schoolboy fantasy 😲).
😂 No comment.

Back