Homemade boiler

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neilos1988

Reaction score
Hi all,

Spent the afternoon putting together a homemade boiler, I used a Youngs FV and a couple kettle element from the Tesco value range. You can pick them up for around £7 each.

Tested and both powering on not taken it to the boil yet. Seen a post on here of someone doing this previously so thought I'd give it a blast. Still have to cover the external power connections.

I've got a couple of Voltage regulators on the way so I can have a controlled boil without over stressing the elements.
IMG_20200610_171218.jpg
IMG_20200610_171204.jpg

IMG_20200610_171221.jpg

That's looking good. I had read somewhere that you may need to watch for the bucket deforming due to biling the contents.

I'd be really interested to see how you get on

That's looking good. I had read somewhere that you may need to watch for the bucket deforming due to biling the contents.

I'd be really interested to see how you get on

I've not heard of the plastic deforming that doesn't sound good, will keep an eye on it thanks. I will upgrade to a stainless steel pot once I come across one at a reasonable price. Voltage regulators came yesterday, gave them a quick test and they seem to work.

I've also ordered some voltage displays just need to make it look tidy, will post pictures once completed. False bottom also on route.

As I'm cheap, I bought a 32l food grade PP bucket with lid . As I could not find any specifications, I had ask the manufacturer who told me that the bucket max stressing temperatures are:
- 20 min - 100C;
- 2hours - 70C.
Did someone use a similar bucet?

You need to get a bucket that is made from Polypropylene like this one: 33 ltr Fermenting Bin & Lid

It's safe at boiling temperatures (i.e. 100°C).

The one made by the OP above is not and it would be quite risky to be boiling stuff in that without the risk of it at least going soft or worse melting.

You need to get a bucket that is made from Polypropylene like this one: 33 ltr Fermenting Bin & Lid

It's safe at boiling temperatures (i.e. 100°C).

The one made by the OP above is not and it would be quite risky to be boiling stuff in that without the risk of it at least going soft or worse melting.

Thanks mate!

My bucket looks IDENTICAL but, as I told you, the manufacturer gave no guarantees for using it for boiling food grade liquids. I will try to boil some water but I'm afraid the PP will soften leaving the HOT water flow on the kitchen floor.

Last edited by a moderator:

Until now I did not carry the boiling test. But, by accessing again (attentively this time) the site you was pointing me to, I did notice:

"Made from polypropylene and can be made into boilers ( at your own risk )"

So, my bucket seems to be as good as the one you recommend.

I made mine from an old Young's bucket, I've done a few full 20L and not had a leak or have it form permanently. With the heat it does go very soft so I wouldn't move it.

No melting around the element either and I only had 1 so the stress on it doing a full batch would be more than you with two.

I connected my tap to a hop bazooka to catch the crud. I had issues with the grain getting through the bag and clogging the element as well so maybe double bag.

My heaters installation failed! Fortunately, the water was cold. Then I measured the kettle and bucket walls in the vicinity of the heaters installation hole and I found out the bucket is 1-1.5 mm thinner. Now I have cut some washers.

I'd be concerned about what's coming out of the softened plastic into the brew that you're planning to drink.

Plasticiser chemicals are added to the plastic to get the bucket to be the desired flexibility. I would be concerned that these chemicals come out of the plastic and into your beer when you heat it up such that it goes soft.

I was talking about the heaters I took from Tesco (like) heaters. I can not imagine how I will use those leads as time the connection system is not suitable to the plastic bucket.

Back