Honey & Lemon the HARD way

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scaff

Regular.
Reaction score
so im thinking, im nearly out of Hard Lemo, need to get something underway for spring time.

everyone likes to try the Hard lemonade, few stay the course because its very bitter.............and strong enough to pull a child back from social services.

so i thinks.............(lightbulbmoment) lets make it sweeter, then i thought when you had a sore thorat as a kid.....Honey & Lemon !!

off we set

2ltrs of lemon juice
6kg of sugar
4 x 458gm jars of honey
1ltr of cranberry juice for colour
2 big mugs of black tea
citric acid
youngs super yeast
youngs yeast nutrient

simmer the lemon juice in a pan to remove the preservatives, i left it for 25-30mins and then let it cool for an hour. it was still warm after that

add the 6kg of sugar to the FV, add lemon juice and 2ltrs of hot boiled water and stir it well for about 15mins........ i bent the spoon doing this, but that was prob due to the hot water.

after it was stired i added the cranberry juice, this is just for personal taste to give some colour and so its a bit more pleasing to the eye.

keep stirring, until you think all the sugar has dissolved, then stir some more, cos it aint.

add the honey, warm it up if you like. i just poured mine in and rinsed the jars with hot water and added that to the FV.

add the citric acid and 2 mugs of black strong tea

top up to the required level, i made 25ltrs

i had a little taste and WOW, its very nice very easy on the throat, you can taste the sweetness of the Honey {ok, theres a few kg of sugar in there also} and the bitterness of the Lemons.

i use youngs super yeast, 1 big spoon per gal, so about half a tin.

add the yeast to a culture with a bit of nutrient and sugar.

add the yeast nutreient to the Fv, add the yeast culture after 15mins or so

leave it the hell alone for 3-4 weeks

I plan to rack it off to a clean FV for another 3 weeks, then bottle it for spring.

when i get to bottle it ill add another 458gm jar of honey and some sugar to it just before.

some pics

IMG_2585.jpg

tesco lemon juice

IMG_2588.jpg

nasty horrible stuff that needs to be got rid off
IMG_2584.jpg

it lives...............hahahaha

image4_2.jpg

all i could find in the fridge, scuppered the kids breakfast no doubt

image1_8.jpg

6kg sugar, 2ltr lemon juice, moves like mortar

image2_6.jpg

a couple of pints of boiling H20 and its better

image2_7.jpg

sugar from my honey

image1_9.jpg

blurb

image3_3.jpg

cranberry and honey in

some others, i have on the go
IMG_2582.jpg

the youngs FV is 25ltrs of base spirt soon to be vodka, the DJ is my tesco turbo cidre with no added sugar, the coopers FV at the back is 23ltrs of tesco turbo cider with sugar as in my other post

IMG_2583.jpg

forgot to add

i dipped the hydrometer in it and it nearly shot out of the Fv...... it was off the scale at 1110+........as a great movie quote........were gonna need a bigger boat

scaff

how did this work out ?

am really intrested as am making fiery ginger beer at the moment and want to have some hard lemonade or something similar on the go next

how did this work out ?

am really intrested as am making fiery ginger beer at the moment and want to have some hard lemonade or something similar on the go next

I think you are going to have to be the forum guinea pig he has not logged in since 21-01-2016

I think you are going to have to be the forum guinea pig he has not logged in since 21-01-2016

the preservatives are putting me off using the tesco lemon juice, especially when i could get the same desired effect with a good couple lemons that are rolled, sliced, squeezed and then boiled in water then left to simmer for about 40 mins

+ thanks for the update otherwise i would feel a bit of a lemon waiting for a response hehe

but in all seriousness i quite a few demijohns that i bought not too long ago that are aching for life so will try a 1 gallon version of this first i think :)

Latest posts

Back