Hop spider anyone else use one?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ive just used a hop spider for the first time, i also recirculated the boil back thru the bag and it worked well, tho it did get close to overflowing at one time till i throttled back the pump a bit..

it allowed me to drain my kettle of beer post boil, got to say i luv my hop spider..

10369437773_46143bb1f2.jpg

10369778833_ec654a226e.jpg

10369828294_63020cdec8.jpg

This looks like a neat idea, but don't the hops help filter out the break material ? :hmm:

Hawks said:
This looks like a neat idea, but don't the hops help filter out the break material ? :hmm:

I think thats partially why the bag is filling up as it is filtering some of the break material, however when looking at chilling options i was looking to filter out the break material and was advised by far more experienced brewers not to fear break material in primary fermentation, it will just fall out.. the last drainings out where mostly break material and the mass got to 6" above the pump before the lil brown solar job clogged at which time i noticed the distictly thicker flow into the FV ;) so i may have more trub than usual without a hop bed filtering, But i get to go straight from flame out into the FV and within 40 mins of turning off the elements im pitching ;) and no hop filter to clean just a bag to empty and rinse.

The one thing i dont know yet is if the nominally colder volume in the bag is as good for hop utilisation as if free fall within the boil. it sure is an easy hop filter solution tho. i pulled the bag and dropped it in a sandwhich box and later tasted what finally drained out, That was Very dry ;)

One thing tho i had used the bag a few times for grain, but after being boiled in wort for the durration its really discoloured..

also its important to tie the bag tight before u start.. i didnt expect it to offer so much resistance and had just twisted and pulled the drawstrings. Luckily i caught the bag before it fell in and managed to tie it in place that time,, just returning with a cup of tea.. dropped the mug to catch the bag.. phew!! hot leg n foot, but worth it..

one nice feature tho was as the bag fell in it closed itself keeping all hops inside for the split second the bag lip was floating free..

Latest posts

Back