Hops for Rye IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My recipe delivery from The Malt Miller should arrive today. Hopefully I can brew Sunday - making a brew stand from pallets tomorrow.

I've gone for the following hop schedule

Magnum - 25g - FWH
Athanum - 10g - Whirlpool (80℃)
Mosaic - 10g - Whirlpool (80℃)
Motueka - 10g - Whirlpool (80℃)
Athanum - 15g - Dry hop
Mosaic - 15g - Dry hop
Motueka - 15g - Dry hop

This works out at 57.5 IBU for a 1.061 OG.

I wanted to try hop bursting, so that's why there's no boil additions other than bittering. This is for an 11.5l batch, but I'm not sure if I should swap the quantities for the whirlpool and dry hop. Most hop bursting uses loads of hops at this stage.

I'm not sure whether these hops will work. I'm after tropical fruit and hoping the athanum will also provide some earthy tones which should go with the rye quite well.

I also have chinook (I think), centennial and cascade amongst others. I'm worried the first two would overpower the other hops with their dankness, but they may work better with rye than the ones I've picked.

Any thoughts?

To accurately comment i'd have to see the grain bill - adding no bittering hops sounds odd to me.

Ah, i see. FWH will mean they won't be imparting as much bitterness because of the lower temperature. Would you consider adding them at the start of the boil to get the full effect from them instead?

I recently brewed an Imperial Rye IPA with Nelson Sauvin as the bittering (40g in a 17L batch), Sorachi Ace (50g at 10 mins) - even with these heavy AA hops the brew came out quite sweet. The grain bill was 5.8kg (including 700g of Rye).

From experience i'd consider adding at the start of the boil.

Otherwise the hop makeup is quite nice looking!

The difference between FWH and 60 minute was fairly negligible - probably 2 IBU or so according to Beersmith. Magnum is smooth anyway, so perhaps there's no real benefit of adding as FWH anyway.

Malt bill was 62.7% lager, 17.2% Rye, 7.8% Munich, 3.1% Light Crystal, 3.1% Medium Crystal and 6% sugar.

I've never brewed with Magnum so don't know what kind of flavour it imparts but my understanding is that FWH will give you more flavour and aroma over bittering - at any rate, once you take it to the boil those delicate fragrances will be destroyed.

I have, however, done FWH with a black IPA and can safely say the flavours from those hops were negligible. I can't comment on the bittering aspect as i used a lot of other hops in the schedule.

Latest posts

Back