Hops

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mancer62

Landlord.
Reaction score
I have been experimenting with adding Hops to extract IPA'S recently.
Already I have a liking for the citrusy flavoured CITRA hop I was therefore wondering is there anyway I can add or get the flavour of this hop into an IPA thats already dry hoped with Columbus and will be kegged this week.? Are there any methods I can use or do I just have to wait to brew my next batch. cheers?

You can just add as another dry hop or make a hop tea (search this forum for it theres loads of discussion about it).

so make a hop tea with Citra and just add to corny...as simple as that yes? any recommended length of time to leave in corny before serving?

Yes I second the hop tea but careful of the temp and time
Last thing you need is added bitterness if not required

I'll bear this in mind
It's never really been a hop I've been that interested in
I'm still want to try admiral and pilgrim
Have you'tried these two?

Admiral is my standard bittering hop. Very clean and also really cheap. I like pilgrim but use it later in the boil and as a dry hop. It has lots of silly descriptors like pineapple and citrus which make it sound like some kind of new world tropical hop. It's not, it a nice English hop with mild but pleasant fruitiness.

I had a packet of Columbus sat in my freezer for a couple of years. I finally used it in a APA, along with some Cascade to use up some 2015 hops. It was one of the best beers I've made. The dank flavor sat brilliantly with the Cascade. I get that it wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea

Fair enough
I will prob try and make the same as the batch
I'm not much of a hop head and havent tried a lot of hops tbh. Once I find something I like I tend to make it repeatedly (I've been making a H.Mittelfrauh/Saaz blonde ale/pseudo lager a lot, the past few months)
I tried saaz once for an ale but for the first time realised theyre are those type of hops best suited for the base malt and yeast (largar basically)

Admiral is my standard bittering hop. Very clean and also really cheap. I like pilgrim but use it later in the boil and as a dry hop. It has lots of silly descriptors like pineapple and citrus which make it sound like some kind of new world tropical hop. It's not, it a nice English hop with mild but pleasant fruitiness.

I had a packet of Columbus sat in my freezer for a couple of years. I finally used it in a APA, along with some Cascade to use up some 2015 hops. It was one of the best beers I've made. The dank flavor sat brilliantly with the Cascade. I get that it wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea
Those descriptions get me going too
I think most of the time'the hops are taste tested on theyre own (hop tea)
Because half the beers ive bought or made have never had the tropical descriptions they say they have
Unless they're very hoppy like IPAs

Fair enough
I will prob try and make the same as the batch

I tried saaz once for an ale but for the first time realised theyre are those type of hops best suited for the base malt and yeast (largar basically)

I'm expecting more of the challenger (hopefully) to come through rather than the HF/Saaz

I'm expecting more of the challenger (hopefully) to come through rather than the HF/Saaz
Must get some challenger
Yes they should over saaz
Good old challenger now that's what I call I proper English dual hop
I dry hopped with these a while back and I still remember the earthy notes and aroma (helped being summer too)
Must make another

I got 50g of Citra (my fav hop so far I love the citrusy fruity flavour) and am going to make a hop tea and add it when kegging my wilko IPA later today. I tasted my IPA in the FV.last night and must admit I wasnt to over keen on the 50g Columbus taste.
Should I make and add 25g of citra or the full 50g.
Next IPA.i aim to use 50g Citra...
Are there any other citrusy fruity hops similar to Citra. If so id be keen to try them. Cheers

Are there any other citrusy fruity hops similar to Citra. If so id be keen to try them. Cheers

There are dozens, but Centennial, Amarillo, Cascade, Mandarina Bavaria and Pacific Jade are all good options. I recently made an IPA usings all Centennial that was excellent.

Must get some challenger
Yes they should over saaz
Good old challenger now that's what I call I proper English dual hop
I dry hopped with these a while back and I still remember the earthy notes and aroma (helped being summer too)
Must make another

I took a gravity sample yesterday of course had a taste. It tasted of none of the hops and overwhelmingly tasted of the fruity Gales yeast esters :laugh8:

Latest posts

Back