Hot Mash

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I posted a couple of weeks ago in the "Brewing Mistakes" thread because a loose temperature sensor discovered too late in the day caused my Mash to run at an unknown (although likely way too hot) temperature, although I still hit OG target at 1.068.

https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/...u-really-wish-youd-avoided.98886/post-1186828
I wanted to follow up with a couple of queries, but didn't want to clog up that thread.

I took a gravity reading after a week when most activity had subsided and it was at 1.020 and tasting slightly sweet (but very alcoholic) and I assumed that's about as far as it would go. But it's still working away now after nearly two weeks; adding the dry hops seemed to spark some more activity as well. I've not taken a second gravity reading yet, but I did taste it yesterday and there is no excess sweetness at all now; it tastes how I would expect (although possibly not how David Heath would expect, given my cack-handedness).

So, a couple of questions :

Why would adding the dry hops cause a flurry of activity? I initially thought it had just disturbed trapped CO2 in the yeast cake, but it's been pretty active over the last three days (days 11, 12 and 13 of the fermentation).

Is it possible that the US-05 has managed to chew through all the tricky sugars given extra time!?

Seeing as it's still bubbling regularly (albeit slowly; about once every 90 seconds) but has been on the dry hops for three days already, is the priority to let it ferment out, or to get it off the dry hops? I'll be kegging, so bottle-bombs aren't a worry.

Thanks for any advice!

Hops contain diastatic enzymes, which can give rise to hop creep, especially in heavily dry hopped beers. That's why many now reduce to 15°C or below to avoid any further fermentation and associated diacetyl off flavours.

Back