how does your significant other feel about your home brew

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Must admit MrsC is as good as gold, never complains about my hobbies, does show interest when I'm trying something out, otherwise just leaves me to it :thumb: She does like the occasional beer though and likes the lighter summer brews I do :cheers:

ScottM said:
dennisking said:
My wife gave up moaning about brewing many years ago. One good tip to get them on side. Although I brew in the garage I am back and forward in the kitchen for water etc. when I finish I wash the kitchen floor for her, I know I'm being over generous but anything for harmony. :whistle:
Me too.... normally with wort :D

I got a shedload of brownie points one time after mopping the floor after a 'spillage' so if there's a bit of splash around, a quick once round with the mop and she's very happy ;)

Mind you I'm a big fan of her hobby......... baking :party:

You don't get in this shape on fresh air you know :tongue:

Mrs Bald has warmed over time, Friends saying how good my brews are and overnight mashing help. She knows I must love it to get up early on a Saturday morning to sparge etc!

Mind you she hasn't seen my latest corni purchases yet ;)

Also brewing for her dad helps oil the wheels :cheers:

Mrs Hirsty isn't a huge fan of beer but will always try out a new one - Framboise and Pales with cara seem to be the favourite.

She must be very understanding though as I gave up my better paying job and made her move to another region to follow my passion for beer. And I still homebrew in my spare time.

Now if only I could get her to be as understanding about skydiving...

I'm lucky as SWMBO like some beers, not the pale hoppy ones but quite a few of the rest. Wherry is her favourite so far. I also keep her sweet by bunging in a cider kit for her every so often. :thumb: It does help that I don't use the kitchen to brew. The boiling happens on the patio and all the rest is in my office.
Graham

See, kitchen is entirely my domain so I would never have a problem there.

We have a deal in our house. We both work full-time.

SWMBO does all the cleaning, washing, drying and so on (bleurgh)
I cook and wash-up. 6 days a week (we don't have my son on a Wednesday so she cooks a nice meal for us although I still wash-up).

In fairness, I do have a 15 year old son who is not her responsibility (well, she married me, so he sort of became one).

The other thing I do is shopping. Sounds odd I know, but she is an absolute PITA in a supermarket and we end up arguing.
Since we moved out to a village, we have it delivered mostly, so it's hardly a chore now!

My girlfriend gets sick of all the empty( but clean ) bottles in the cellar that she doesn't use anyway, but she did buy me a St. Peter's RR for Xmas.

stu said:
The other thing I do is shopping. Sounds odd I know, but she is an absolute PITA in a supermarket and we end up arguing.
Since we moved out to a village, we have it delivered mostly, so it's hardly a chore now!

Hahhahaaha, we are exactly the opposite there. My Wife banned me from going shopping with her. Everytime I go to Asda with her I just start picking up the end of isle bargains that I fancy. The bill ends up WAY more than her budget because of all the **** I put in. I also end up with some sort of beer/cider in the trolley too, with the excuse that I need the bottles :D

My wife hates the process but loves the results. Usually I have to hear much babbling about taking over the kitchen on Friday's afternoons and nights, but it's ok for her as long as we could later share a bottle of some fine porter, stout or dark lager. When spring comes she asks me to brew some weizen, then later I have to brew porter for winter time, all belgians are welcome, dark rye ale too.

ScottM said:
Hahhahaaha, we are exactly the opposite there. My Wife banned me from going shopping with her. Everytime I go to Asda with her I just start picking up the end of isle bargains that I fancy. The bill ends up WAY more than her budget because of all the **** I put in. I also end up with some sort of beer/cider in the trolley too, with the excuse that I need the bottles :D

See, I go in with a budget in mind. So I know I have £75 to spend.
She (like many ladies) is on a constant diet. So she trawls the aisles looking for the latest "Fad" to buy.

If I shop, our bill is ~£70. If she comes too, it's over £100.
In fairness, I buy beer separately.

My other half quite enjoys it I think. The kitchen is also my domain, being an ex chef I cook all the food (well mostly) so I am quite at home in there and pretty clean as a result. Most my hobbies revolve around the pub or drinking anyway (captain of the local darts team and the other locals Sunday morning footy team fullback) as we are both from villages and you know by village life is like. Also I think she finds it endearing when I get all geeky and talk about the science stuff (which means I paraphrase what I read off the fountain of knowledge that is this forum)!

Also we like to have our mates round a fair bit, especially in the summer and this will be our third summer in this house and the annual BBQ we invite all our friends to seems to be an anticipated fixture on the calendar these days, so I'm hoping to have a couple of barrels and many bottles available for people to enjoy so that gives her brownie points on the hostess front!

She's not too happy with me moving to AG but like I told her she won't even know I'm doing it , will brew on a Friday when I have all day to myself and will make sure everything is clean and tidy for her coming home

scott-ayling said:
She's not too happy with me moving to AG but like I told her she won't even know I'm doing it , will brew on a Friday when I have all day to myself and will make sure everything is clean and tidy for her coming home

:rofl: :rofl: are you trying to kid her or you? :rofl:

Mrs FB bought me my AG starter kit for my birthday last year, so it's all her fault really !
She likes the beers I've made so far, and is sitting opposite me supping a glass of my London porter :thumb:

I think I got lucky !

She isn't too bothered by it all. Think Dennis nailed the solution by getting the other half onside. Last year she went out & harvested 8kg of blackberries because she liked the wine so much. The aromas of mashing grain are fine,but she does disappear when the hops go in. She is the primary shopper in the house so the less she has to drag back from Asbos the happier she is. She is a keen gardener & spent grain makes great compost,so brownie points there, and re using beer & wine bottles appeals to her inner eco warrior.

Tonight I'm giving Mrs Swazi a crash course on Beersmith. She's been reading my books and has decided that she could make beer as good as mine and make what she wants too. She's even found her own space for fermenting so as not to get in the way of my brews. She asked to brew with me last weekend so that she could see how to do it. Now she wants to give it a go on her own while I'm at work.

Swazi said:
Tonight I'm giving Mrs Swazi a crash course on Beersmith. She's been reading my books and has decided that she could make beer as good as mine and make what she wants too. She's even found her own space for fermenting so as not to get in the way of my brews. She asked to brew with me last weekend so that she could see how to do it. Now she wants to give it a go on her own while I'm at work.

You lucky mother F***er wish my oh was like that. sadly she doesn't want to know

Swazi said:
I can see yo are going to have competition, who can brew the best beer :lol:

She was seriously p***ed off when I brewed in the kitchen - usually on a damp old day, making the condensation stream down the walls. Now, I brew in the garage and only do the fermentation in the kitchen. She likes beer, so now; no problem.

Happy dayd.

Hah ha, some cracking comments on here.

As a brewing noob, I am excitedly passing on my new found brewing knowledge to my wife, who looks at me like I'm some sort of sado :shock: as a watch for activity, and count bubbles in my 1st ever batch. :pray:

Does the novelty of the wonders of brewing ever wear off? lol

Latest posts

Back