How important is temperature in fermentation?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a follow up question on this.

I brew in my garage. No space for another fridge, I do have an inkbird controller though. I have nothing to plug into the cooling socket, but can use a heat belt to warm.

Would it be better to maintain a constant 23 c over letting it fluctuate from 18 to 23?

Can I use any yeast that goes above 23 with minimal risk of off flavours?

I don't have a fridge but the heavy duty plastic container I bought from trago mills a few years back to use as a water bath has certainly helped maintain the best steady temps for the yeast strains I've used

A couple of frozen 250ml before I leave for work keeps my beer around 18 to 19c
When I get home obviously I'm checking the temp straight away (and adding another bottle if required) before any family commitments

I have a follow up question on this.

I brew in my garage. No space for another fridge, I do have an inkbird controller though. I have nothing to plug into the cooling socket, but can use a heat belt to warm.

Would it be better to maintain a constant 23 c over letting it fluctuate from 18 to 23?

Can I use any yeast that goes above 23 with minimal risk of off flavours?

You could brew a saison,Belgian abbye/trappist/tripel or even a wheat beer using your heat belt as these yeasts are happy in the 25-30 range and IMO produce the best flavours at the top of that range

Consistent temperature is ideal during fermentation, something that can be a challenge but from what i understand you are more at risk of off flavours during the first few days. See if you can hold your FV in the 25-27 range using your heat belt, lower is fine but i find the Belgian & saison yeasts abit bland if the heat is not there

Latest posts

Back