How important is temperature in fermentation?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm in a similar situation, we live in a very small bungalow with no space either inside or out for a fridge and the coolest room is still too warm in the summer, my FV is a SS Chronical and it stands on legs. It's real bugger, my keg is almost empty and I need to get a brew on. :angry:
Get a tent for the kids and use their bedroom :laugh8:

I must be old school - I ferment in the airing cupboard most of the year. In winter with the door shut. Spring and autumn with the door open to keep the temperature down. In really hot weather I ferment in the living room when it gets up to the dizzy heights of 18c or so.
But there again I would look at a brew fridge as just another thing to go wrong and ruin your beer. I've been all-graining for 3 years now and only had 1 brew with a funny taste because I let it get too hot. I still drank it though i was glad when it was all gone.

For me temp control massively improved the stability of brews and overall flavours.

There are many ways to skin a cat though and a brew fridge is what I have, but water baths, fish tank heaters inside the FV etc etc are all methods I’ve read about !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's pants
Mauribrew 514 it is then

Edit
Can't see this one either and tbh ive just noticed it always finishes around 1.020

Ive got a pack of Nottingham and I think some one on here had it at over 25c with no detrimental effects to the finished beer

Unfortunately id dispute that and have seen a lot of comments to say the same when i was desperately trying to diagnose why my beer tasted like whiskey, anything over 20C with nottingham has been a no go for me - they were fairly high alcohol beers so it probably exacerbated the issue but it's known to throw off fusels at lower temps than something like us05 for example which probably could go up near 25

That's pants
Mauribrew 514 it is then

Edit
Can't see this one either and tbh ive just noticed it always finishes around 1.020

Ive got a pack of Nottingham and I think some one on here had it at over 25c with no detrimental effects to the finished beer

I've been looking for both MGJ M10 and Mauribrew 514 but couldn't find either. I've gone for MGJ M20 Bavarian Wheat that goes up to 30c.

Personally, I'd say don't be afraid to use a yeast that isn't usually associated with the style you're brewing. Experimentation can be fun, and throw out some unexpectedly good results sometimes. Beats the heck out of alcohol burn... lol

I've been caught by surprise by M29 though after fermenting at 26 degrees for the first time. Previous times I used it I let it just settle at it's own max temperature, and it's been citrusy with not much else. Ramp it up though and WOW you get the pepper in there too! lol Perfect for an IPA (don't panic, it's actually a hoppy Saison I made with left over hops). :laugh8::nod:

When you say "easy to set up" - do you have any guides? I've read a lot online, and to be honest I glaze over reading what look like complicated electronics! (I actually read more about this for drying meat than for brewing, but the principle's the same).

Do I just need to crack on and try something? I do have a massive american fridge-freezer in my garage which I've saved for just this purpose.

Any help much appreciated!
the big fridge you have is ideal,get yourself an inkbird controller,a greenhouse tube heater and your made

Looks like
Unfortunately id dispute that and have seen a lot of comments to say the same when i was desperately trying to diagnose why my beer tasted like whiskey, anything over 20C with nottingham has been a no go for me - they were fairly high alcohol beers so it probably exacerbated the issue but it's known to throw off fusels at lower temps than something like us05 for example which probably could go up near 25
Looks like the fv is going in an ice bath then
At least I'll be about for the next few days to control it with ice bottles
According to weather reports its gonna be another warm bank holiday

Keep it stable .....Low for clean tastes{ US 05 etc } ...a littte higher for fruity tastes , Belgium ales as long as you have the right yeast count.

I have a similar approach to AdeDunn and switch to yeast that is either forgiving or produces better flavours at warmer temperature. I live in a new build flat so it gets bloody hot and stays hot. Currently brewing a saison using MJ French saison yeast, been sat at 25-26 degrees the past 2 weeks and the sample tasted fantastic!
There are plenty of saison, Belgian abbey/triple & wheat beer yeasts that are recommended for around 26 degrees, some are good to go up to 32!

Considering a dark wheat beer/stout hybrid, no idea how it will taste but this yeast is happy in this heat:
https://mangrovejacks.com/collections/craft-series-yeasts/products/bavarian-wheat-10g-coming-soon

I've been looking for both MGJ M10 and Mauribrew 514 but couldn't find either. I've gone for MGJ M20 Bavarian Wheat that goes up to 30c.
The MJ M10 is not available any more.

However, what would be nice is a table somewhere with a list of yeasts and their temperature ranges. If you have to research it yourself it takes a lot of time, and most probably much duplicate effort.

I took my thermometer outside today and in the shade it read 27C. I have an FV which has been on the go for 6 days. It's sat on the concrete floor of a windowless brick garage and the temp. of the brew was 18C. Perfect! I have no room for a brew fridge but for my next brew I'll be using a Belgian yeast in case we get a heatwave.

go for it....someone said to me underpitching with Yeast is good for THAT Brugge Belgian taste.:tinhat: again free rising temps ????.

I have 2 brew fridges in my shed which work great with the inkbird set up.
I paid £20 for 1 and the other was free on gumtree. Both are single under the counter larder fridges with no icebox in. Also painted the front of both with blackboard paint for notes.
Good luck.

So glad I posted this thread now, I've learned loads! Will definitely invest in an inkbird next month and set up the fridge, and I changed plans for the brew day we did in Friday to make sure we used yeasts which can cope with a bit more heat.

To update - what prompted my initial post was concern for my April batches which had been through a heatwave in fermentation. I needn't have worried, they taste great!

I also made sure I monitored this time - placed a thermometer next to the FVs to measure ambient temp and found its stayed at 19 degrees even when it was 27 outside. So I guess I'm just very lucky to have an ideal brewing setup!

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Just popped to the local homebrew store. These were out of date. September 2017. Quid a packet.

Attachments

• 15275981562631177774755.jpg
    15275981562631177774755.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 94
Back