How long do you wait before drinking your brew

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

micky1882

Reaction score
The general feeling on the forum seems to be after a couple of months or so, but from start to finish I'm drinking mine after 3 1/2 weeks to the 4 week mark.

I tend to go for the cheaper end of the market kit wise to keep the cost down as with a 9 month old in tow can't afford to sup in pubs but love my beer at the weekend.

I normally leave the brew in the fv for 10 days, a week in the spare room and then a week in the outdoor box. After this I find it a cracking pint, better than the turd you buy in the pub and for only 30p-35p a pint! Just wondering how long people leave there's on average?

2-3 months but I because I always have 3 -4 beers bottled at any one time some of them last over a year and by that time they are cracking. :thumb: :thumb:

Mine are running beers in polypins, ferment for around 8 days, 3-4 weeks in the pin before drinking.

I normally do 2 brews a month to keep the supply going so the oldest I drink tend to be 7/8 weeks old at the mo but it goes down so easy.....

I just did a sneaky taste of a beer that's only 4 weeks old. Very drinkable. A bit thin though, so I'm guessing it will improve with age.

I always do a test after 3 weeks and it's always thin, over hopped, imbalanced. Don't know why I do a sneaky taste, it's better straight out of the barrel than 2-3 weeks in the bottle. After 2 months they're all lovely though...

Beers, stouts, ales , lagers anything up to 1.5 years. Wines, still have some bottles which are over 3 years old.

Forgetting about wine, generally I wait 6 months +

BrewDan said:
Beers, stouts, ales , lagers anything up to 1.5 years. Wines, still have some bottles which are over 3 years old.

Forgetting about wine, generally I wait 6 months +

I cant even make it to 1.5 months. ;)

Alan :cheers:

I try to have a good supply of maturing beer that is at least 2 months old, up to 6 months. I will however try a beer after 3 weeks in the keg "just to see how it's going" ;)

It does improve with age but patience is a hard virtue to learn.

I have 1x wherry and 1x Nelsons revenge all bottled up now.

Opened a month old wherry and had a sip, too thin. I'll buy my beer until this is ready as its a waste of a bottle and I enjoy a decent pint not a sort of alright pint!

Everything is bottled for at least 4 weeks before drinking. So from beginning to end it's about 2-3 months.

I do mature my tc's for about 9 months before bottling

I normally do 2-3 weeks in a FV. Don't bother with the secondary so much any more.. Then my general rule of thumb, that I heard somewhere off someone I can't remember, but I do it anyway is 1 week in the bottle for every 1% ABV. So generally 4 -6 weeks in a bottle or keg..

I have a 10.5% ABV Belgian Tripel that I bottled a couple of weeks ago.. It's going to be absolute torture waiting 10 and a half weeks for that!! :doh:

Usually 2 weeks in the fermenter then 1 week per percentage point in the keg for most things. Wheat beer is drinkable as soon as it's carbed so can be drinkable 10 days from brew day with a good fermentation and force carbing. Handy if stocks are running low.

With the weissbiers I start drinking these 3 weeks from brewing.
Other beers take longer as previously stated.
I found a couple of bottles of stout I made nearly a year ago, my god the difference was amazing, so smooth and full of character , it made me realise that I should brew some beers to mature for a long time.

And it doesn't cost £3.95 a pint! :thumb: :cheers:

Usually I don't wait long enough, I know it is better if I wait two to three months because the last of each batch taste better than the first... Need to brew more!

I can't get my stock up high enough to avoid early drinking... Just finished my IPA that was probably about ready to start :) was lovely though.

I'm very short on storage area, I have place for 8 crates only, maybe 10. If the beer doesn't mature quickly enough, I'm drinking it young to make room for next batch. It's usually too young. :(

Well, these kits don't do what they claim. I've got one still in the FV after 24 days, another 14 days and another 10 days, they're still working away, albeit slowly.

At this rate my WOW will be ready for drinking first! ........ they're working away at a faster rate and at day 21.

micky1882 said:
from start to finish I'm drinking mine after 3 1/2 weeks to the 4 week mark.
Wow, thats some weekend!! :drink:
Grumpy Jack said:
Usually I don't wait long enough, I know it is better if I wait two to three months because the last of each batch taste better than the first... Need to brew more!
Same here. I've gone from one pressure barrel in January, to two pressure barrels, plus 40 bottles, now I've acquired another 40 bottles, and I'm thinking of getting another FV now :party:
Currently I've got a Wilko Golden that is about ready to go, but mysteriously has about a gallon evaporated :wha: , a Festival Landlord that is 2wks in the PB, a Wherry I bottled yesterday, I meant to get another kit on today but the LHBS is closed and I want another Festival kit, my next opportunity is Saturday, so I might get an FV and two kits and put them both on together. The missus will love that!! Then I might have a stock with some that I can keep to mature properly :electric: :mrgreen: (my daughter wanted to add some smileys)

Latest posts

Back