How long will it last???

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoss

Reaction score
Hi all,
my first brew should be ready this weekend and I was wondering how long it will last before it goes off. they have been fermenting in Demijohns, of which I intend to store it in too. It doesn't say on the can (Yorkshire Bitter) but I have been told 6 months and about a year; could someone please give me a better idea?

cheer,
Hoss

Can't give you a better idea than 6-12 months. How do you plan on drinking it... one demijohn at a time?

ah, I rarely drink 5 pints a week: how long does a demijohn last once opened Jonny??

Cheers for the reply =]

Once you've opened the demijohn it wont last very long, a few days max. After you open it and expose it to the air it will start to oxidise and go stale.
I would suggest bottling, in the bottle it will easily last 6 - 12 months.

Cheers sparge, I will keep this in mind. I was thinking of just putting it in a barrel next time as I only intend drinking it in the house, would it last 6 - 12 moths in there?

Quick safety note: DJs are not built to take pressure. If you want to prime your beer you will need to bottle/keg it otherwise you run the risk of exploding DJs.

They have pressure tops in Alan, which haven't moved yet thankfully =]

Latest posts

Back