How much do you value repeatability?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rclarke

Reaction score
Do you find you spend time obsessing over getting every single detail correct when following a recipe, and meticulously noting everything down, slip-ups etc?

Or after some months and years into the hobby do you adopt a more relaxed approach just go with the flow and expect some beers to be better than others?

I can see the value in sticking religiously to your recipe and noting down where you went wrong, so you can learn from your mistakes, and understand which variables effect the outcome, but since I am not running a professional brewery, consistency between batches doesn't strike me as a huge concern, so long as the end product is satisfying. Mostly where I attempt a repeat batch, I end up with similar results, but find I don't do enough of the same recipe, nor recipe development (except tweaking other's) before moving on to something new. This habit of mine doesn't seem to bear much fruit, so I'm considering the more relaxed approach.

I guess I'm more interested in the old guard's approach to homebrewing, but please let me know regardless as I love to see how others learning has developed and how you journey may differ to mine.

consistency for me isn't important at all. I enjoy doing new brews and trying different recipes. I tend to repeat the few brews that have been particularly delicious, but again, consistency isn't high up on the list.

I think i fall into the relaxed group, i mainly brew bitters, ipa's, pale ales, if i want a hop bomb or other like Belgium i will buy it, i have a good few recipes on brewfather but 2 in particular i use i just swap the hop's around with what i have on hand with some amazing results, i also find user uppers are some of the best brews i have made, so for me it's brew and see what you get

Both. The first is vital in learning to be a brewer rather than learning to make a beer. In the same way that being a chef isn't the same as following a Jamie Oliver recipe. It's just a small part in learning the vast array of variables in ingredients and processes. The further into that journey the easier it becomes to be able to visualise, design and achieve a beer exactly as you want it to look, smell, feel, taste etc. Consistency shouldn't necessarily be viewed as making the same beer exactly each time, more as being each brew being predictable.

It's then possible to step back from that a say 'I'm going to brew with x, y and z, and see that happens', all with an element of control.

I'm in much the same camp as @Sadfield.

I try and hit my numbers as consistently as possible (without going to massive expense) so that I can ensure either a new recipe or any tweaks to an existing recipe are delivering the intended result without having to worry about other variables.

That being said, if I do miss a number (e.g. OG was a point or two too high or too low) then I really won't lose sleep over it. However, I will record it, think about why it might have happened and then determine whether I want that to happen next time or if I need to make a change to prevent it.

I used to follow every recipe to the dot. I have my regular recipe for what I drink the most (London pride clone) that I follow, but other than that I now freestyle much more. I swap what I don’t have with what I have, Sometimes I cut the boil or steep short because of time constraints … And tbh Iv never made a bad beer. I think when u first start out it’s best to stick to good practice and follow recipes to the tee,, but as you gain more knowledge you get to know what you can get away without making too much difference or worst still a batch of gravy…. Using 20g of EKG instead of 25g Fuggles for 60mins edition…
200g of dark crystal instead of 150g special B..!
I wouldn’t be able to tell too much difference but then again I’m not that much of a connoisseur.

as far as I'm concerned its all important. No point brewing a great beer every now and again and not being able to repeat it. I have about 4 recipes I repeat alot and want them to all be the same as the previous time I brewed it. I'd rather be in the position where I'm brewing the same **** beer repeatedly than a spectacular batch once in a while with several not so spectacular batches in between. Nothin worse than giving someone one of your beers and they are not overly impressed then you saying something along the lines of "yeah this one isn't so good, but trust me...the last time I brewed this is was amazing!".

Sanitation aside, I used to have a fairly relaxed attitude to brewing. The main thing was having fun and always trying something new.

Now, my kit is about where I want it, and I know what styles I like drinking, so I'm now slowly refining my kit and doing sensible things like changing a single variable at a time. Likewise, any changes to my kit now are incremental changes that improve the process rather than large changes.

However, my primary objective is to have fun brewing beer so I don't take it too seriously.

I never follow a true Clone recipe but will use it as a base then brew from there.
I rarely brew the same recipe exactly and alter it to my taste also.
Re actual brewing I need consistency in my technique and a understanding of my kit and what it does, so pretty laid back recipe wise but only tweak to suit myself and not chasing the holy grail clone.

I've brewed clones a few times but been satisfied with getting it pretty close but not a perfect clone as I assume I cant perfectly replicate their water or the yeast or exact brands and sources of malt and hops so will get some variability unless you're using EXACTLY the same ingredients and water. But getting it close enough that it is recognisable is fine for me, so long as I can repeat the result in another batch.

Definitely both! I like consistency regards cleaning,sanitation and my methods to ensure I don't miss a step and get the same volumes,efficiency, abv etc.
If I'm chasing a clone recipe such as my version of Tribute getting a repeatable result is essential to even think of making a single adjustment.
But then I'm all for a user-upper recipe!

I almost always wing it & never aim to produce the same product.
I know my basic weight of grain & hops that work for me.
I vary the crystal/choc malt addition depending on what I feel like & although I hold a basic standard stock of EKG & fuggles, I will order different hops to try each time I restock.

I almost always wing it & never aim to produce the same product.
I know my basic weight of grain & hops that work for me.
I vary the crystal/choc malt addition depending on what I feel like & although I hold a basic standard stock of EKG & fuggles, I will order different hops to try each time I restock.
Out of interest, how do you store hops, individual sealed bags? I've always fancied saving left overs for a small batch, but was worried about keeping them fresh until I have enough left over to use up in a brew.

Do you find you spend time obsessing over getting every single detail correct when following a recipe, and meticulously noting everything down, slip-ups etc?

Or after some months and years into the hobby do you adopt a more relaxed approach just go with the flow and expect some beers to be better than others?

I can see the value in sticking religiously to your recipe and noting down where you went wrong, so you can learn from your mistakes, and understand which variables effect the outcome, but since I am not running a professional brewery, consistency between batches doesn't strike me as a huge concern, so long as the end product is satisfying. Mostly where I attempt a repeat batch, I end up with similar results, but find I don't do enough of the same recipe, nor recipe development (except tweaking other's) before moving on to something new. This habit of mine doesn't seem to bear much fruit, so I'm considering the more relaxed approach.

I guess I'm more interested in the old guard's approach to homebrewing, but please let me know regardless as I love to see how others learning has developed and how you journey may differ to mine.

Mine is very similar to yours Mick I do attempt clone types but only in a style so I may alter little bits. I do catalogue every brew by saving the Brewers Friend recipe sheet to the computer so if I do want to re-visit I can but rarely do the exact same beer I will tweak it for my taste at the time as tastes change.
I deal with the hobby as a relaxed one and do not get too deep into the anal brigade brewers styles i.e pressure fermenting, dry hopping without any possible risks, buying the latest fab product or method unless it is tried and trusted. So old fashioned brewing styles work for me and are so much easier not worrying too much about things that don't matter - well to me.
Good brewing however you do it but enjoy it and the results

Out of interest, how do you store hops, individual sealed bags? I've always fancied saving left overs for a small batch, but was worried about keeping them fresh until I have enough left over to use up in a brew.
Squeeze most of the air out of the original package. Seal with a tight bag clip. Store in the freezer. Put up with my wife looking disapprovingly at the amount of hops stored in the freezer
1683829243675.png

They keep for well over a year, by which time they are used up

Definitely the relaxed approach for me. I used to jot notes down in my little black book (apparently  my little black book was quite different to those of other mid-20 males at the time). Mostly the ingredients and mash/boil schedule. Sometimes I didn't even do that ... Sometimes I just eyeballed ingredients and didn't even measure them. Part of the joy was the accident of an exceptional brew. And part of the joy was also never needing to try to resurrect that exceptional brew and aiming for a target I may never hit again. Thingscl never taste as good the second time around

I now have a grainfather, so use their app. But it basically boils down to the same thing. I have an ispindel which now records fermentation temperature, but sometimes use it as a reference. To much note taking and attempting to "hit a target" takes some of the fun out of it.

Every post so far has serious merit.

I really like the cooking anology. When you're learning, it's generally a good idea to stick to recipes and instructions until you get the confidence and knowledge to use a recipe as a guide/base.

With enough practice you'll bang out a plate from clearing out the fridge/cupboard that'll be as good as or better than most restaurants.

Some days I'll make ravioli from scratch. Other days, it's beans on toast.

But I do have a few house beers I don't like to mess with because there's a reason they're house beers. Also, the moor you brew the same brews with good results, the easier that brew day is. So repeatability absolutely has it's positives, even at an advanced level.

Another anology I like is the footballer. De Bruyne spends a lot of time perfecting certain skills and that allows his mind to be further ahead while pulling those skills off. Same goes for musicians.

TL;Dr learn to walk before you can run

I get my hops in vac pack 100g bags.
After using, I fold top over, seal with duct/gaffer tape & shove in the freezer until needed again.

But I do have a few house beers I don't like to mess with because there's a reason they're house beers. Also, the moor you brew the same brews with good results, the easier that brew day is. So repeatability absolutely has it's positives, even at an advanced level.
I have 2 recipes which i play with hop wise, i am at the moment drinking my Lancashire pale ale hopped with target hops and will be brewed again it is bloody good, i also always have 3 grains to hand, roasted barley, crystal 400, and biscuit malt, the roasted barley mainly for colour, also i have learned a lot of home brewers dive into AG with high hopes then feel a little bit deflated don't be, taste your brew a good gob full swill it round let it linger you will soon realise you are making beer as good as the local micro acheers.

Latest posts

Back