How long will my brew last

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewing Boilerman

Reaction score
Hi guys. So after bottling how long will
My beer last? Will it go bad After say 12 months in the bottle.

I am using plastic bottles. A mix of brown and clear. They are currently being kept out of sunlight.

Cheers.

Well as long as you store them correct standard beer at around 4% should last 12 to 18 months , prob at its best around 4 months ish , but stronger beer will last longer like a 8% may well last a few years, other beers like wheats and wits may only last around 6 months , also more hops tend to help with prolonging shelf life.

If your beer is ok when it goes into the bottle and the bottle is clean and sterilised and you get no leaks.... who knows.. some have been very drinkable after several years of good storage.
But practically, beer is not like wine which has a high alcohol value and will last for decades and beyond.
The period between say 2 months and 9 months seems to me to be the norm for low alcohol session beers and those specials of say 5/6/7 % will last much longer. But beers are made for drinking not for long term storage or investment like quality wines.
You don't normally make a beer to specifically last for several years..... In the immortal words of Greysanatomy's signature...." Get if f%k supped " ! :D

edit sorry Pitsy same time post

tazuk said:
mine dont last long :drink: :drink: :drink: :D

Exactly, you don't brew beer to store it away, get it supped.

The longest I have kept a beer for was 18 months for a Sarah Hughes Dark Ruby, and it was fine, except it had lost some of the flavour from when it was younger. I like to drink pale ales within 8-10 weeks (usually quicker ;) ), after that you start to lose flavour and aroma.

Thanks guys. Also every brew I have made and bottles for conditioning I have stored in doors at about 18 deg c. Is there a specific amount of time I should keep
It at that temp before say moving it to the garage?

Thanks

You should be ok after a couple of weeks for carbonating, then move it out to the garage. :thumb:

Mine never last as long as planned, although I am determined that my IPA will make it to 12 months ( well at least the 2nd corny will :whistle: ) - 3 more to go...

Beer definately tastes better if it is left to mature for 2-3 months unless you like apples :grin: :grin:

Especially dark malty beers and those of higher gravity. Wheat beers i believe are an exception and should be drunk young and also very hoppy beers will have a more intense hop flavour younger but then they may not have developed there full potential as hops are only part of the equation when it come to taste IMHO.

Bitterness also mellows with time so if you have a beer which is perhaps harsh then it will become more rounded with time.

So there's four reasons to let your beer mature, unless you just want to neck it as fast as you can produce it.

Glass bottles are better the plastic, plastic will lose pressure with time. And brown bottles are essential to avoid your beers becoming light struck or skunked (unless you keep them in the dark) :lol: :lol:

Back