How much wheat extract?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terry_R

Reaction score
Hi, my next brew will still be extract (DME) English IPA and I want to improve head retention. I've read that substituting some wheat extract for the malt will help. What ratio would you suggest, for example if the recipe calls for 3kg of DME in a 23 litre batch? Thanks in advance.

Hi, my next brew will still be extract (DME) English IPA and I want to improve head retention. I've read that substituting some wheat extract for the malt will help. What ratio would you suggest, for example if the recipe calls for 3kg of DME in a 23 litre batch? Thanks in advance.
I would have thought no more than 20% unless you want to call it a Weizen.

I would use either Cara-Pils Dextrin Malt or flaked Oats or rolled Oats. Keep your DME as it is because none of what I’ve mentioned are fermentable, Carapils works by leaving behind unconverted starches that the yeast cannot ferment (dextrin) and it aids head retention and foam stability. So do the oats, the oats will also give you a greater mouth feel but I wouldn’t recommend any more than 10% even though you’ll read you can use up to 20%. You could use a mixture of all of them if you prefer. These are a couple of beers that I made and as you can see the head is very compact and creamy, it’s also stayed down the glass. I’m not a big user of DME but I guess it’s pretty much made up of Maltose which is 100% fermentable so there’s no dextrin which does give body to the beer as they’re not fermentable. I’m sure you will get the results your looking for if you use the above [emoji106]
IMG_3467.JPG

IMG_2050.JPG

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back