How much yeast do i add?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tricky

Reaction score
I've got everything ready to start my coopers Australian lager on the go. I bought Saflager-s23 to replace the ale yeast that came with it. Problem i have is i'm not sure how much of the pack i add. Do i add the whole lot?

Thanks
Tricky.

in a perfect world you would use 2 packets , when brewing at lower temps more yeast is needed . But don't worry it will just take a little longer (3 weeks ) good luck

pittsy said:
in a perfect world you would use 2 packets , when brewing at lower temps more yeast is needed . But don't worry it will just take a little longer (3 weeks ) good luck

ah i see. Useful to know. Does that explain why it's not bubbling away just yet? This is the second day to the hr since i picthed the yeast. The ambient temp in the room is about 12c. Is this ok? I'm a little worried it's not doing anything as i havn't heard any bubbling yet :shock:

best practice is to rehydrate the yeast as per the manufacturers instructions, reading the Yeast book by Chris White and Jamil Zainashelf you kill off half the yeast cells by just sprinkling the yeast on the wort instead of rehydrating it. Could be the reason for a slow start, however patience is the key, 12C is good and it will take ~3 weeks, and just leave it in the primary FV.

Kills off half the yeast?..that's a tad scary. Could the wort go-off due to alcohol not being produced quick enough?

no, its not the alcohol that is an issue. there are wild yeast cells in the air and the reason that you want a quick start to fermentation (a short lag time, at least less than 24 hours) is to reduce the chance of some wild yeast getting a toehold in your beer.

So just relax, keep your beer covered, don't go peeking, and everything should be fine

more yeast = less lag time , you may even want 3 packets of yeast to get a quick healthy start but as said no worries it will just be a longer lag time before fermentation kicks off . The lower the temp then more yeast is wanted.

Kinleycat said:
Sean_Mc said:
Whole sachet or 12g if you bought in bulk
Just off the top of my head, am i right in saying that the packs in the kits only contain 7g?

yes they are tight ba***sds, Fermentis yeast or Nottingham are 11g, which is good for 23L at say OG1045

Sorry to ask again but should i be worried now? Nearly a week in and i still havn't heard any bubbles yet. The lid is bulged up mind so somethings happening. What would you guys do?

I would leave it as is. Take a hydrometer reading in a few days and that will let you know if fermentation is complete. If the lid is bulging then I would be happy!

Well, i took a hydro reading last night and it came out at 1.030. Started at 1.038. It may as well be a can of kaliber as it's only 1.3% :lol:

It's a full 2 weeks this sunday since puttung it on. I'm concerned it's stuck :(

I just don't know what to do with this one :oops:

nice one. I'll pop down my LHB shop tomorrow morning. Have all my yeasty's died then? Wonder what could of caused that. :shock:

too little yeast and too much alcohol often causes that , alcohol makes yeast sleepy and if your OG is over 1060 you need to start doubling your yeast if dried or making a good fresh starter if liquid .Yeast can get used up if there wasn't enough to start with and there is a lot of sugars to convert so using enough healthy yeast is important to get a good batch of beer .

Latest posts

Back