How much Yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kay Stöger

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm still a beginner and found a Heineken recipe in the Grainfather app that I would like to recreate. But I'm unsure about the quantity.
For a finished brew of 23 L, here is the amount of yeast:
Select Code: W-34/70 with 5 packets given.
Can this be?

Thanks in advance for the answers
Screenshot_2023-04-24-08-53-16-818_za.co.digitlab.GFConnect.jpg

Hello everyone,

I'm still a beginner and found a Heineken recipe in the Grainfather app that I would like to recreate. But I'm unsure about the quantity.
Can this be?

Thanks in advance for the answersView attachment 84788
That seems way over the top. Normally a single 11g sachet is fine for a 23L batch (but I don't brew lagers)

4 packets should be enough - you can work it out yourself using one of the online calculators Yeast Pitch Rate and Starter Calculator - Brewer's Friend

You do need more yeast for lagers - ideally around 400 billion cells in this case. You could probably brew it with less but it would take longer and you'd be in danger of stressing the yeast and encouraging off-flavours.

The general consensus is one pack is not enough with Lager yeasts if you are fermenting at the lower end of the temp of the yeast.
Most brewers would recommend 2 packs of yeast which should be enough
The manufacturers/sellers of the yeast recommend 1 pack for 10/15 litres so 2 will be enough

Hello everyone,

Can this be?

Thanks in advance for the answersView attachment 84788

It's all about your pitch temperature. The colder your pitch temperature the more yeast you need to pitch from the outset.

If you pitch at 12c and don't pitch enough yeast you will have a long lag time while the yeast create the colony - this risks wild yeast getting hold of your beer before your chosen yeast strain can, and stressed yeast which will lead to flavours you don't want.

If you pitch at 18c for example with less yeast, you will have less lag time and the yeast can create the colony quicker. Your fridge (assuming you have temp control) will get the beer down to your required fermentation temp within a few hours, although with that yeast it's possible to do the whole ferment at 18c without any off-flavours.

If it was me I would pitch 2-3 packs at 18c and let the fridge cool the beer over a few hours to 12c or thereabouts, or do a starter instead.

Thats brewers for you Braumeister one question ten answers:laugh8::laugh8::laugh8:
No doubt like the rest of us they will find out what works for themathumb..

Fermentis says....

Dosage:
  • 80 to 120 g/hl for fermentation at 12°C–18°C / 0,11 to 0,16 oz/gal for fermentation at 53.6-64.4°F. Increase pitching for fermentation lower than 12°C/53°F up to 200 to 300 g/hl at 9°C (up to 0.27 to 0.40 oz/gal at 48°F).

I use two sachets on the odd occasions I make them mostly as it seems to be the done thing with larger to use more yeast, it seems to work and dry yeast is relatively cheap so I feel I might as well stick to that approach.

Latest posts

Back