How to Build a Brewshed, well, how I did it.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pjbiker

Regular.
Reaction score
This was built by me and my dad, a retired joiner in a weekend, (excluding the laying of the base which took a fair bit of grafting). 8'x12' Shed, size chosen to correspond with the lengths of materials available. Mainly constructed from 2"x2" rough sawn timber frame, 8mm Tongue and Groove cladding (thicker shiplap would be better), and 8'x2'x 18mm chipboard floorboart sheets for roof and flooring. Roof apex was 8"x1" rough sawn. Base was about 5" of hardcore bricks etc, about 3" of 'millwaste' and then 2' square paving slabs. Doors and frame were prefabricated in my dad's workshop, but they don't have to be that good. Frames were knocked together by drilling and 3" nails. Frame sections were screwed together at the corners. Windows are mainly 2' square greenhouse glass. Cladding tacked on with compressed air and 45mm 'brads'. Roof felted and nailed on with 'clout nails'. Floor panels supported with old bits of 4"x2".
Almost essential power tools are a chop saw that will do angles, electric screwdriver and drill, hand held circular saw is very useful too. A nail gun will probably halve the time to construct.
Sorry, the 30 odd photos are totally out of order and it's more than I can stand to juggle them around using the tiny box on the forum posting thing that won't stay viewing the bit I need to (am I doing something wrong). I think the photos pretty much show how it all went together. Ask if you'd like any explanations. I still have the drawings somewhere which I could scan and add too. (note, I was just the labourer :D )

IMG_6383.jpg

IMG_6382.jpg

IMG_6280.jpg

IMG_6278.jpg

IMG_6275.jpg

IMG_6244.jpg

IMG_6243.jpg

IMG_6242.jpg

26042009204.jpg

20042009201.jpg

20042009200.jpg

20042009199.jpg

13042009182.jpg

Picture006.jpg

Picture002.jpg

IMG_6735.jpg

IMG_6727.jpg

IMG_6591.jpg

IMG_6494.jpg

IMG_6481.jpg

IMG_6480.jpg

IMG_6478.jpg

IMG_6460.jpg

IMG_6453.jpg

IMG_6446.jpg

IMG_6442.jpg

IMG_6441.jpg

IMG_6439.jpg

IMG_6434.jpg

IMG_6424.jpg

IMG_6421.jpg

IMG_6419.jpg

IMG_6403.jpg

IMG_6392.jpg

IMG_6391.jpg

IMG_6386.jpg

22 The plans for the frames.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I know what I'll be doing this summer... do you know what your materials cost was??

I think the timber was just under £400 (not including the doors). I'd say go for proper 'shiplap' cladding as the stuff I used was really cheap and thin. That would probably have taken the cost to about £500. apart from 2 ton's of 'millwaste' hardcore at £30 a ton, the base was all recycled waste. Then there was glass in the windows and roofing felt, (don't remember what that was, prob about £40). The glass in the doors my dad recycled from a double glazing panel out of a skip!). A load of nails and screws ~£10. You'd have to add door hinges and furniture, paint. Then there's your electrics and lighting, say £70 for cables, a few sockets switches and fittings. I'd say, look at about £700-800 all in for a 'proper' job.

:hmm: I think when I sell my house, the next one I look at is going to need some pretty good garden space!

Looks Like the fella in the white coat knew what he was doing. :lol: :lol:

That is a shed any man would be proud of especially since you built it yourself.

When is the inaugural brew?

Well Done

:thumb: :thumb:

We built it in May 09, only just got round to posting photos. Have done lots of brewing since then. Link in my signature bit.

It doesn't look that complex to build though

:hmm: :hmm:

My local Shed place offers two grades of Shed and for 12 by 8 it's 843 quid (probably more as VAT has increased) plus 242 quid for all tanalised timber. . . . For the premier its 1064 plus 243.

I reckon I can knock a Shed together for half that . . .Especially If I go for OSB roof and floor . . . Especially If I work out how much I need and go around a few timber merchants as ask for their best price

Aleman said:
It doesn't look that complex to build though

:hmm: :hmm:

My local Shed place offers two grades of Shed and for 12 by 8 it's 843 quid (probably more as VAT has increased) plus 242 quid for all tanalised timber. . . . For the premier its 1064 plus 243.

I reckon I can knock a Shed together for half that . . .Especially If I go for OSB roof and floor . . . Especially If I work out how much I need and go around a few timber merchants as ask for their best price

No more brewing under the brolly then Aleman :hmm: :hmm:

Nah . . . get all the gardening stuff, bikes tools and general junk out of my brick brewing shed, and then I can use the brewery for it's proper purpose :party: :party: . . . . Just need to hear about this F*cking job!!

Cracking stuff PJ :thumb:

I built our little summer house with shiplap and the frame out of standard rails from Country stores, basically standard rails are treat 4x2 meant to be used for fencing but are dirt cheap. I used waterproof chipboard for flooring and the roof, think there about £7 from Wickes for a 8ft by 2ft sheet.

Its currently full of kids bikes and toys at the moment, but as long as there not in my shed.
When the kids grow up I'll run electric to it and am thinking about putting a little sink in there for when we have barbies

Excellent post.

Its funny how sheds can be used for so many uses. It reminds me of when i built my home observatory.....like your build but my roof comes off! :)

Being on a tight budget I am gathering my materials at the moment from anyone and everywhere for free. I have an open fire so I am always picking up wood for fuel and regulary come across long lengths of 2 x 2 or similar.

I am planning to build a 13 x 7 shed with a brewing area at one end and a boys room at the other. Only yesterday my next door neighbour dropped off two 8 x 4 sheets of brand new Sterling Board and a couple of small windows which were no longer required on a job he was doing as a window fitter. Covered over in the garden I have seventeen heavyweight coal shed doors which I managed to scrounge last summer when a local authority were replacing them on a local housing estate. They are all in great condition and will be used to cover the 2 x 2 framing when ready.

Once I have enough 2 x 2, I will only have to spend a small amount of money for such things as sand and cement for the base and cladding for the outside, unless freecycle comes up trumps.

aneray said:
Being on a tight budget I am gathering my materials at the moment from anyone and everywhere for free. I have an open fire so I am always picking up wood for fuel and regulary come across long lengths of 2 x 2 or similar.

I am planning to build a 13 x 7 shed with a brewing area at one end and a boys room at the other. Only yesterday my next door neighbour dropped off two 8 x 4 sheets of brand new Sterling Board and a couple of small windows which were no longer required on a job he was doing as a window fitter. Covered over in the garden I have seventeen heavyweight coal shed doors which I managed to scrounge last summer when a local authority were replacing them on a local housing estate. They are all in great condition and will be used to cover the 2 x 2 framing when ready.

Once I have enough 2 x 2, I will only have to spend a small amount of money for such things as sand and cement for the base and cladding for the outside, unless freecycle comes up trumps.

Keep an eye out for other peoples projects where they buy a tonne bag but dont use it all. Removing it is a hassle and if someone could take it away for free then everyones a winner. I am a landscaper and often have a bit of ballast or whatever left over which always needs bagging and taking away. I'd welcome someone else doing that at the end of a job.

aneray said:
Keep an eye out for other peoples projects where they buy a tonne bag but dont use it all. Removing it is a hassle and if someone could take it away for free then everyones a winner. I am a landscaper and often have a bit of ballast or whatever left over which always needs bagging and taking away. I'd welcome someone else doing that at the end of a job.

What a good idea. Off the top of my head there must be at least five bags with small amounts left over within about a mile from where I live. Six now including the next door neighbours.

Awsome shed :mrgreen:

I'd love to build one. I have secret plans (i.e. the mrs has no idea yet) but there's no budget for it at the moment - patience!

Excellent post and project PJ. One of those cut off saws really punches its weight on a project like that. ;) :thumb:
A air nailer is also on my list of "to gets", looking for a big un, to help out my 18g tacker. The foreman certainly knows what is on about, wearing a coat like that, technically perfect, saves your smart gear, not that I have any, easy and quick to put on and keeps you warm, I graduated to one last year. :lol:
I did my brewery build in a welded frame of 60 x 40 box section , covered in wriggly tin, insulated with a ply lining cos the materials came cheap :D but I need to do another extension for my bee shed.............. :hmm:
I like the working drawing, always do one, saves a lot of time and mistakes, you can't think and cut. ;) I use a really good drawing package Qcad, was fully trained in Autocad but thats to expensive and bulky. Used Qcad a community version, but it was so good I paid £20 quid for a full version, being a linux fans, don't believe in buying software, but broke my rule for Qcad :D
S

ChrisG said:
Excellent post.

Its funny how sheds can be used for so many uses. It reminds me of when i built my home observatory.....like your build but my roof comes off! :)

You should do a thread on the Observatory, very interesting. Cosmic Brewing!!!

Latest posts

Back