How to connect gas cylinder to regulator

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 40634

Reaction score
Hi,
I’ve bought a CO2 gas cylinder from hobbybrew that comes with a 5/8 BSP Female fitting to which I’d like to attach my regulator. The regulator is a Lierna ODL, bought from The Malt Miller, and has an 0.860″ x 14 tpi (also known as “DIN 477”, “JIS M22-14”, “BS 341 No. 8” female thread.

Does anyone know where I can buy and adapter to fit the two together please, I’ve tried hobbybrew but not received a reply and already bought one adapter that didn’t fit.

Thanks in advance.

Do you have any photos? I used to have one of the ODL regulators until I dropped and broke it, and I use Hobbyweld/Hobbybrew for my CO2, and they both fitted together no problem.

Hi Biffo I have one it fits a standard pub bottle no probs
478002F7-0A66-4031-A144-6CDE570A2A8F.jpeg

... 5/8 BSP Female fitting ...
That is NOT a 100% CO2 cylinder! I'd have to look it up to be sure, but '5/8" BSP female' sounds very much like it's probably "pub gas" ("mixed gas", probably 60% CO2, 40% Nitrogen). It will be a compressed gas at about 2-3000PSI, not liquid CO2 at a more reasonable 860PSI or there abouts (the pressure of the gas in the cylinder).

Go easy!

I am no expert but don't you need a different regulator for mixed gas
Yeap! Really it may be the same regulator (that's why they have seemingly useless - for CO2 - high pressure gauges that read over 3000PSI) but the connecting threads will be very different to avoid accidental hookups.

This isn't the first post about connecting BOC cylinders I've seen like this. There appears to be a serious lack of "duty of care" coming out of BOC? Gas cylinders are dangerous if misused, I'd expect more from them.

[EDIT: Sorry, not BOC this time it's "Hobbybrew" in the OP. But I'd expect the same duty of care from anyone.]
[EDIT2: Ah, cross-post, @MickDundee has corrected me below too.]

Last edited:
Yeap! Really it may be the same regulator (that's why they have seemingly useless - for CO2 - high pressure gauges that read over 3000PSI) but the connecting threads will be very different to avoid accidental hookups.

This isn't the first post about connecting BOC cylinders I've seen like this. There appears to be a serious lack of "duty of care" coming out of BOC? Gas cylinders are dangerous if misused, I'd expect more from them.
It was Hobbybrew he said, not BOC.

Their distributors are usually Hobbyweld stockists so mainly just welding shops etc (my local stockist is actually a car parts wholesaler), so it’s possible there’s a lack of knowledge from the agents either around the actual contents or the compatibility with regulators.

However, their cylinders (especially the recently branded Hobbybrew ones) are very clearly marked so there shouldn’t be any confusion as to whether it’s CO2, 60/40 or 30/70

https://hobbybrew.co.uk/gas-cylinders/

Last edited:
Fully agree with the above: if it's a CO2 cylinder then it should have a 0.860" x 14tpi thread on it; so if the regulator doesn't fit then it's probably NOT CO2 but 'cellar gas' (either 60/40 or 70/30 CO2 and nitrogen).
  • If you ordered CO2, then it sounds like HobbyBrew has supplied the wrong gas and it's down to them to change it. If they aren't responding then if you paid with a credit card, talk to the bank and they will reverse the transaction.
  • If you ordered mixed gas by mistake, then talk to themaltmiller and they may be able to help you out with an adaptor - I think it might be this one:
Screenshot 2022-04-13 at 11.18.33.png

Thanks for all the replies that very useful as I was getting desperate, it is a mixed gas cylinder, I’ll return it to my agent to change it for 100% CO2. Thanks again, really appreciate all the advice. I will also check with the malt miller to see if they have an adapter and ask about the regulator for future use.

That is NOT a 100% CO2 cylinder! I'd have to look it up to be sure, but '5/8" BSP female' sounds very much like it's probably "pub gas" ("mixed gas", probably 60% CO2, 40% Nitrogen). It will be a compressed gas at about 2-3000PSI, not liquid CO2 at a more reasonable 860PSI or there abouts (the pressure of the gas in the cylinder).

Go easy!
Thanks for that you’re correct it is a pub gas mix, I thought it would be the same fitting. I don’t fancy using gas at that pressure so will try and exchange it for pure CO2

Fully agree with the above: if it's a CO2 cylinder then it should have a 0.860" x 14tpi thread on it; so if the regulator doesn't fit then it's probably NOT CO2 but 'cellar gas' (either 60/40 or 70/30 CO2 and nitrogen).
  • If you ordered CO2, then it sounds like HobbyBrew has supplied the wrong gas and it's down to them to change it. If they aren't responding then if you paid with a credit card, talk to the bank and they will reverse the transaction.
  • If you ordered mixed gas by mistake, then talk to themaltmiller and they may be able to help you out with an adaptor - I think it might be this one:
View attachment 66547
Thanks, my mistake, I will try and change it first for pure CO2

Back