How to increase the fizziness in the bottles?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkyStar

Reaction score
Hellow! As the Title says, i would like to know if there's a method to increase the carbonation-fizziness in the bottles. I've read that by just adding more sugar-dextrose at priming stage, you can get a bottle-bombing after some days of fermentation o,o do you guys use something particular?

Bottle bombs are mostly down to bottling your ales/largers when fermentation has not fully finished

What are you brewing ?

I brew mainly Pseudo-lagers and bitters! i.e Muntons Premium Lager, and Muntons IPA Bitter/Bitter. our homebrewshoop sells mostly muntons can kits.

Hi!
As with most things in home brewing, the answer is, "Patience".
Prime your bottles depending on the type of beer - there are priming guides online; a good one on Brewer's Friend. Cap and leave at 20 degrees or more for TWO WEEKS. You can't rush this stage. Next, move to a cold place (refrigerator, ideally) for as long as you can wait! Most beers need several weeks to fully mature; in some cases they need several months.
Once in the cold, crack open a bottle at weekly intervals to taste how well the beer is improving.

I brew mainly Pseudo-lagers and bitters! i.e Muntons Premium Lager, and Muntons IPA Bitter/Bitter. our homebrewshoop sells mostly muntons can kits.

With largers I use 1 teaspoon of sugar and ales 1/4 >1/2 teaspoon of sugar for a 500ml bottle

With largers I use 1 teaspoon of sugar and ales 1/4 >1/2 teaspoon of sugar for a 500ml bottle

from the fermeting kit that i've bought, there was 3 measuring cups for sugar priming, the 0,25,50,75cl ones,

I do not risk anything if i drop more dextrose than needed in the bottles?

from the fermeting kit that i've bought, there was 3 measuring cups for sugar priming, the 0,25,50,75cl ones,

I do not risk anything if i drop more dextrose than needed in the bottles?

First, different beer styles have different levels of carbonation.
Use this to decide how much priming sugar you need for your beer.
http://www.brewersfriend.com/beer-priming-calculator/
If you are batch priming or putting into a pressure barrel I would weigh the sugar rather than rely on volume measure, assuming you have weighing scales.
If you are priming into bottles you need to find a single measuring spoon or similar that you can use to precisely add the same weight to each bottle. The best way of finding out how much weight is in the spoon is to weigh say 20 spoons of sugar, and from that calculate the weight of one spoon of sugar. Once you have found the right spoon use it each time you bottle.
As an example I use one spoon which delivers about 4.5g sugar and when I prime my 2 litre bottles I use 2 spoons for ales and between 2.5 to 3 for lighter beers.
You should make sure that the primary has finished before you bottle or barrel, by making sure you get the same SG reading on two or preferably three consecutive days. Unfinished primary fermentations are just as likely to give you 'bottle gushers' as overpriming.
Finally I usually use table sugar to prime, its cheap and gives a reliable result although dextrose is OK too.

As Terry says, just use a priming calc to cabonate to your required level of carbonation. I carb everything I make at the same level regardlessof style. You may eventually to so too once you've found a carbonation level you like

Back