How to remove sticky labels

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldjiver

Landlord.
Reaction score
Those horrible sticky labels that leave behind a residue that only dissolves with solvents are a real problem on some bottles and plastic brewing tubs. Most solvents smell for ever and are impractical for brewing.
Here is the way to remove them with no after effects.
Some labels will just peel off if you are slow and patient, but if they dont then do this. Wet the label with soapy water and leave till soggy. Scrape as much paper off as you can and pat dry with tissue. Then get a pastry brush or similar and dip it in vegetable oil, (cooking oil) and brush as much as will stay on the underlying glue. Leave for three hours, and the glue and oil will mix to form a gel that can be wiped off with a tissue. Then just wash the bottle /tub clean.

Peel label spray residue with WD40, use a nylon pan scourer to remove glue (apply more WD40 if needed) rub the wd40/glue mix with neat washing up liquid wash off in water and dry. Occasionally you have to repeat until its all gone.

That's what works for me anyway.

What bottles are you removing the labels from? Most labels nowadays come off absolutely no bother in water, and the glues are all water soluble.

I've not had any issue with stella cidre bottles, bud bottles, stella bottles, grolsch bottles, westons bottles or kronenbourg bottles.

I've had several wine and beer bottles using plastic labels which leave residue behind. I agree though most are soluble.

Jeltz said:
I've had several wine and beer bottles using plastic labels which leave residue behind. I agree though most are soluble.

Yup I noticed that the Corona beer labels are a bit tricky to remove :)

Jeltz said:
Peel label spray residue with WD40, use a nylon pan scourer to remove glue (apply more WD40 if needed) rub the wd40/glue mix with neat washing up liquid wash off in water and dry. Occasionally you have to repeat until its all gone.

The cooking oil method is of use as it doesnt smell at all. I havent used wd40 but every other solvent I tried smelt of something and that can linger on plastic.

oldjiver said:
Jeltz said:

The cooking oil method is of use as it doesnt smell at all. I havent used wd40 but every other solvent I tried smelt of something and that can linger on plastic.

Plastic? Are you using your own labels on plastic bottles with pritt stick or something?

If so, in future, substitute the pritt stick with semi-skimmed milk :)

ScottM said:
What bottles are you removing the labels from? Most labels nowadays come off absolutely no bother in water, and the glues are all water soluble.

I've not had any issue with stella cidre bottles, bud bottles, stella bottles, grolsch bottles, westons bottles or kronenbourg bottles.

Yes most are including the San Miguel 33cl one I use mostly. The method is clearly for those that dont, like most Australian wine bottles. AND the bin I bought today with a Huge sticky label.
As I said the main advantage of this method is the complete lack of odour compared to many solvents.

oldjiver said:
ScottM said:

Yes most are including the San Miguel 33cl one I use mostly. The method is clearly for those that dont, like most Australian wine bottles. AND the bin I bought today with a Huge sticky label.
As I said the main advantage of this method is the complete lack of odour compared to many solvents.

Ahh, with you now. I've not tried a wine bottle yet... really don't fancy my chances but I'll give your method a go :)

Cooking oil one looks like it may work. May give this a go.
I have some real stubborn wine bottle labels here - oldjiver will know them - the green 750cl bottles with the green labels! theres a red version too - the label comes off after a 24 hour soak but the residue stays.
I have found that WD40 is the dogs - 3 quick sprays on to the gunk then a quick rub with a kitchen scourer gets it off every time - then i give the outside a quick wash with soapy water and rinse.
I usually use an old paring knife to scrape as much of the label off as i can then hit it with the WD40.

I am going to try a further experiment when I get home tonight. Instead of wetting the paper off first I will try soaking the dry label in cooking oil. If the paper absorbs the oil I may be able to just lift it off in one go. I will post results. ( I bought a 20ltr used ex caramel bucket from the local homebrew shop recently with three huge sticky labels on it, the oil method worked great on the lid, so I will try the above method on the two remaining labels)

Actually left it overnight. Worked perfectly!! Labels just lifted off leaving no glue whatsoever on the bucket.
I can see that it may not work this way if the label is shiny and non absorbent. But for paper its a doddle.

bec5074a.jpg

There are more and more bottles with plastic foil labels. Marstons use them on some beers and also some of the stuff they contract bottle. I have noticed a few of my favourite Wadsworth's now have plastic labels. A hot air gun pulls the label off but can leave residue. I will try the oil method as I have 30 I was going to bin. :thumb:

It's greasy and... Bleh.

Leave it in the water overnight, the residue should go out with cloth.

zgoda said:
It's greasy and... Bleh.

Leave it in the water overnight, the residue should go out with cloth.

It will if its water based glue, but not if its spirit based I have found. Anyway the oil is so easy.

Cooking oil left overnight worked a treat on the residue left after peeling a plastic label. Thanks for the tip.

fbsf said:
White Spirit works a treat with a metal scourer for those plastic-glued horrors, and works pretty much instantly.

You just need to wash it off in hot soapy water afterwards to get rid of the white spirit smell.

No smell with cooking oil, I find white spirit lingers for days in the house.

Latest posts

Back