Removing labels

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichardR

Reaction score
Hi, my first post, so I hope this makes sense: I found some America videos that all extolled the virtues of soaking bottles in Oxi-clean. I cannot find this in the UK, so tried Vanish Oxi Action Crystal White. Apart from the plastic or metallic labels this works well. Some bottles need to soak for a couple of day - but I am working my way through about 200 bottles so every day swap the ones where the labels have either floated off or are peeling off with "new" ones.
I have about 40 Crabbies bottles, which the plastic labels peel of relatively easily (I use a window paint scraper to lift an edge), but there is a plastic glue residue that I have not found the right solvent for yet (white spirit works, but leaves a residue), I am waiting for some rubbing alcohol to arrive to try that. :thumb:

Since starting this home-brew lark, I now choose my beers (partly) on how easily the labels come off the bottle. :)
Anything by Badgers (Tanglefoot), or Moreland (Old Speckled Hen) is great for labels, and taste great too.
Just a quick 15min soak in hot water and the labels float off.
Any residual glue comes straight off with a quick rub from a soft pan scrubber.
I don't get anything with plastic labels. Too hard to get the glue off.

When I'm cleaning up bottles after peeling off plastic labels, I wrap the affected parts in kitchen towel and soak with either white spirit or turps substitute. Leave for about 10 minutes. The glue will have swollen up and gone all squidgy. Scrape it off with a knife then polish off the remains with the kitchen towel.
It sounds more trouble than it actually is.

a quick soak in warm soapy water and the blunt back of a kitchen knife scrapped rapidly over the label glue residue will shift 99% of it and the rest can be cleaned off with a SS or green pan scrubbie with those stubborn synthetic lables aaaand glue. elbow grease is the only way, warm water softens the glue and the metal edge removes it ;)

the oxi/oxy referred to is any generic unscented laundry oxi, Vanish being a brand is Very expensive either the Astonish Brand or tesco's own label should be available for £2-3 per kilo, and you need only 1 or 2 scoops for a 5 gallon volume for a Very effective cleaner.

the £shops also sell some in 500-650g tubs, but in my limited experience open and check each carton before buying to check for coloured fragrance crystals and sniff for uncoloured fragrance additions as the labeling is not always correct and scented can be packaged in unscented packs !! and you wouldnt want your beers smelling of lavender now would you ;)

I soaked 2 600ml Brewdog Punk IPA bottles in Oxy cleaner for 2 days and still can't get the bastards off properly! Same goes fo Drygate Brewery bottles.

Oxy works wonders on every other bottle I've tried that plain old soaking doesn't work on though!

Hi, my first post, so I hope this makes sense: I found some America videos that all extolled the virtues of soaking bottles in Oxi-clean. I cannot find this in the UK, so tried Vanish Oxi Action Crystal White. Apart from the plastic or metallic labels this works well. Some bottles need to soak for a couple of day - but I am working my way through about 200 bottles so every day swap the ones where the labels have either floated off or are peeling off with "new" ones.
I have about 40 Crabbies bottles, which the plastic labels peel of relatively easily (I use a window paint scraper to lift an edge), but there is a plastic glue residue that I have not found the right solvent for yet (white spirit works, but leaves a residue), I am waiting for some rubbing alcohol to arrive to try that. :thumb:

Oxi cleaners are available everywhere. Just don't get the ones that are scented.

If your budget allows get sodium procarbonate. Which is the bleech element of oxi cleaners

Just soak my bottles in hot soapy water and 80% of labels float off. Quick scrub with a pan scourer and it's job done.

Most if my bottles are from Badger Brewery though.

I have not bothered about removing labels before, but my son is getting married next year. He has asked if I will brew the beers and ciders for the reception (only about 400 pints):-( ! They have come up with some beer/cider names that are all puns on matrimonial themes, and will be producing labels.

I soak mine and the ones that are difficult I scrape off with the back of some kitchen scissors, then the key step....I spray with wd40 then use steel wool to remove the more difficult types of residual glue, then use a normal scourer with fairy liquid to clean off the wd40. Normally this works. Having brewed for a few years now I tend to select the bottles I know will be easy to de-label... like Westons vintage cider..they float off after a short while and leave a water soluble residue.

I soak mine and the ones that are difficult I scrape off with the back of some kitchen scissors, then the key step....I spray with wd40 then use steel wool to remove the more difficult types of residual glue, then use a normal scourer with fairy liquid to clean off the wd40. Normally this works. Having brewed for a few years now I tend to select the bottles I know will be easy to de-label... like Westons vintage cider..they float off after a short while and leave a water soluble residue.

I can't claim to be an expert, as I've been brewing for around a month, but I've been collecting bottles and using GT85 with wire wool to get the glue off, then fairy to tackle the GT85 as mentioned above. Seems to work a treat, but haven't bottled any beer yet to see if it tastes of lubricant!

I tend to a avoid buying beer with plastic labels now I just can't be arsed getting the glue off, but if I'm buying then I deffo want the bottle, puts my nose right out of joint if I have to throw it! The hobgoblin bottles recently were wrapped in a plastic outer that could be removed in one piece, i drunk a fair few of them...

I have not bothered about removing labels before, but my son is getting married next year. He has asked if I will brew the beers and ciders for the reception (only about 400 pints):-( ! They have come up with some beer/cider names that are all puns on matrimonial themes, and will be producing labels.

Cool, big job 400 pints

Hi!
Wizz Oxi from Poundland has been mentioned - works really well. Soak entire bottle in hot solution for 30 minutes and even tough labels come off without scrubbing (the glue residue comes off with a sponge). If you get a chalky residue it washes off with vinegar.

image.jpeg

What this guy says, Any of the annoying plastic gluey labels wd40 works a treat.
The other half found the tip on the net when we had to remove sticky Velcro from the conservatory in the house we bought..

Easy ones will come off if soaked in hot water.

Harder ones like Brewdog's will come off if you fill the bottle with boiling water.

I don't bother I just write brew on lid with sharpie. Life's too short

I haven't bothered removing mine either, wasn't going to admit to it on here as everyone else seems keen to remove theirs :mrgreen:

Glad to see I'm not alone :thumb:

I have actually found that StarSan and hot water do the trick. I'm a fan of Arbor ales because I love the shape and feel of their bottles (call me a sad w*n*er if you want) but the labels are a pain. The above solution seems to work.

Latest posts

Back