How to train your taste buds.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On a similar note, I saw an 'off tastes' kit you could buy, at massive expense, to give your brewer's tongue a workout. It's too late in the evening for me to go fishing for the link, but someone on some forum or other had come up with a home made equivalent.

I am not sure I like the sound of that!!
but I do see the point and I could probably benefit from it...
=)

I think the way to train your taste buds to appreciate beer is to cut out sugary drinks. It was not until I stopped taking sugar in my coffee (for the sake of my teeth) that I started to appreciate bitter, prior to that I preferred cider, sickly lagers and sweet wine. Nowadays I never drink soft drinks since I find them all too sickly, instead I savour bitter, Czech/German lager, and dry wine (and of course sugarless coffee!).

Cutting out sugary drinks also altered my palette so I no longer ate so many sweet things generally and started to appreciate savoury foods more. We are born with a sweet tooth, but can grow out of it if we try, and develop a taste for more subtle flavours than sugar.

Wasabi said:
I think the way to train your taste buds to appreciate beer is to cut out sugary drinks. It was not until I stopped taking sugar in my coffee (for the sake of my teeth) that I started to appreciate bitter, prior to that I preferred cider, sickly lagers and sweet wine. Nowadays I never drink soft drinks since I find them all too sickly, instead I savour bitter, Czech/German lager, and dry wine (and of course sugarless coffee!).

Cutting out sugary drinks also altered my palette so I no longer ate so many sweet things generally and started to appreciate savoury foods more. We are born with a sweet tooth, but can grow out of it if we try, and develop a taste for more subtle flavours than sugar.

All that wasabi has probably ruined your taste buds anyway :whistle:

Back