I am an idiot!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob2bdrow

Reaction score
Hi,

I have made a mistake i cannot even call rookie. It's a half asleep boo boo that puts me up in the hall of idiots. But can anyone tell me if it MAY be ok.

So i filled my fermenter up a bit with non rinse santizer, popped my malt in hot water and all was going well to make my Youngs American IPA. I then made the monumental error of judgement and chopped off the top of the bag and steadily began pouring my sweet malt into the fermenter full of sanitiser!!!!!

I quickly retracted after pouring a good 5-600 ml in there. And quickly emptied the sanitizer water.

With this stuff being non rinse does anyone think i MAY get away with it?

#whata****

Hi,

I have made a mistake i cannot even call rookie. It's a half asleep boo boo that puts me up in the hall of idiots. But can anyone tell me if it MAY be ok.

So i filled my fermenter up a bit with non rinse santizer, popped my malt in hot water and all was going well to make my Youngs American IPA. I then made the monumental error of judgement and chopped off the top of the bag and steadily began pouring my sweet malt into the fermenter full of sanitiser!!!!!

I quickly retracted after pouring a good 5-600 ml in there. And quickly emptied the sanitizer water.

With this stuff being non rinse does anyone think i MAY get away with it?

#whata****
Non rinse says to me the antibacterial agent will dissipate with time,if it was Milton I wouldn't be too concerned

You could just tip it out then make the kit with the remaining stuff....it won't send you mental after over 6% then! Or make the balance up with some sugar or brew it short. Or as said ...chance it...

If it's Star San then I'd probably just chance it, it's phosphoric acid based (the stuff in Coca Cola) and it's pretty flavourless. However if it's chlorine based (like milton) I don't think I'd chance it.

I'd go with Godsdog reply.

If you've pitched the yeast and it's not reponded then it may have killed it off, but I would try pitching again.

But I would think that you should be fine.

Part of the learning curve :)

I kinda made a similar mistake and at the end of a brew added a load of campden tablets to my beer - it didnt turn out well.

Sadly had to bin the batch but you live and learn... if the sanitiser is not chlorine based as mentioned by steve, I'd probably leave it and see how it goes... if it is, personally I wouldnt bother and learn from my expensive mistake.

On the bright side at least you realised what you did now rather than later!

Back