I didn't say it .... this time!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
From John Nelson's (Chairman of Lloyd's, 2011-2017) letter to the Financial Times today:

"Never in over 50 years of working life have I seen the UK facing such an abject future, caused by the complete failure of our political establishment to govern, to communicate clearly with the public and, most importantly, to be honest with the electorate. We have many senior politicians who are seemingly consumed with their own ambition and vanity, with little regard for the best interests of the country.

It is clear that either a negotiated settlement along the lines of the Chequers agreement or an exit from the EU with no deal are both going to result in the UK becoming a much poorer and less influential country than anybody was led to believe during the appallingly conducted referendum campaign.

As a businessman, recently retired as chairman of Lloyd’s of London, I can see all too clearly the consequences for the economy, for employment and for the provision of basic services.

Apart from the effect on manufacturing industry and the services sector (the latter being sacrificed by the government on the altar of Brexit), there will be disruption to the provision of basic public services such as agriculture, healthcare and air transport.

We are constantly being told by the Brexiters it will all be fine. We will keep our sovereignty and we will be able to negotiate our own trade deals with ease. This is fanciful. Lloyd’s is the most global of all British institutions. Personal experience tells me that negotiating overseas rights is a long and painful process. If we are trying to do it as a small economy, the leverage we have is limited and far less than operating as a trade bloc, which is the EU. We would lose all the EU trading rights with third countries.

It is also worth remembering that 44 per cent of our trade is with the EU. The great majority of UK economy is in the services sector — financial services alone contribute 12 per cent of gross domestic product.

I agree with many of the warning comments made in recent weeks by many business leaders. But almost all of these comments are coming from overseas businesses. It is high time that UK business spoke up and galvanised the public to understand the true realities of what the country is facing. There also appears to be a silent majority of MPs from each of the major parties who seem terrified of putting their head above the parapet. They need to co-operate, or even coalesce, to provide the public with sensible government.

The case for remaining in the EU needs to be restated and contrasted with the now much clearer alternative. Membership of the EU has drawbacks, but overall the benefits in terms of trade, security and fellowship overwhelm the narrow shortsighted nationalism espoused by those who wish to return to an Edwardian age.

Of course there needs to be a second referendum once the route we are pursuing becomes clear. That route will bear no resemblance to the picture painted by our politicians at the time of the first one.

John Nelson
Chairman, Lloyd’s of London 2011-17"

I'm only delivering the message ... :UKflag:

... so the fact that I and many others agree with him is irrelevant! athumb..

BTW, the GB Pound Tourist Rate is currently £1 = €1.0928 - oh yippee, that's great for the Holiday Season eh?

It has improved by €0.0028 in the last 24 hours - which is enough to stop me turning to drink! clapa

Wonder how long this one is going to last :rolleyes:

I'm hoping that the concerns of such a high flyer may make someone think "Hmmmm! Maybe a minority of the population could have been correct." :thumb:

London is even more full of tourists taking advantage of the weak pound

Ah well, it's an "ill wind" as they say ... clapa

... and surely we are hoping that having seen what ten years of austerity has done to the UK they don't choose to stay! :thumb:

The case for remaining in the EU needs to be restated and contrasted with the now much clearer alternative. Membership of the EU has drawbacks, but overall the benefits in terms of trade, security and fellowship overwhelm the narrow shortsighted nationalism espoused by those who wish to return to an Edwardian age.

More predictions of doom and gloom well the country didn't implode the moment we started the process as many "experts" said it would, there is no case for remaining in the EU which needs to be restated the vote was to leave and we are leaving, that is all.

another of the so called "experts" who predicted doom and gloom immediately after the vote and have been proved wrong. Nobody truly knew what exactly would happen which means both sides as it is unknown territory and as I have said before if I or anybody else could predict what will happen I would be a very rich man advising businesses all over the UK and EU. We voted to go it alone and they are not going to make it easy for us and why are they so set on making it hard for the negotiations maybe they don't want us to leave because it is not in their best interests for us to leave as we may prove to other EU member countries that there is life after the EU

maybe they don't want us to leave because it is not in their best interests for us to leave as we may prove to other EU member countries that there is life after the EU

Thy are scared stiff we will leave and others will follow and will do/say anything to get us to stay they know their gravy train is about to hit the buffers .

. why are they so set on making it hard for the negotiations maybe they don't want us to leave because it is not in their best interests for us to leave as we may prove to other EU member countries that there is life after the EU

I think this is a myth pedaled by papers like the DM and Sun. They're not making it hard for the negotions. Its our numpty negotiators who are making it hard. The EU said at the very start of the negotiations, these are the choices on the table if you want to access EU markets (Norway options/ Canada options). Pick one or chose a no deal, hard brexit. Instead of picking one our numpties keep going back to the EU trying to cherry pick the best bits. The EU simply repeat what they said at the start of negotiations

And why do people keep putting experts in inverted commas? This is anti-intellectualism, again pedaled by the papers like the DM and the Sun as well aspeople like Michael Gove whose completley knacked the our education system. Do people say, 'I keep vomiting, so Im not going to a doctor as a doctor is an "expert" '? I'd rather listen to a finacial expert rather than career politicials who went to oxbridge, got a degree in PPE then went straight into politics never having a proper job in in their life. Financial experts were in fact correct. The shortly atfter the referendum, GDP dropped by 2% enabling hedge fund mangers who had bet against the pound to make millions

And what about all those business who are saying they will relocate to Europe if we leave the EU? Do you think there bluffing? Well many already have or have been looking at 'exit stategies'. They have a duty to their shareholders and wouldn't be lying (like our politicians constantly do) to them.

If our policians are so certain that things will turn out all fine for us, why has Jacob Rees Mogg, an arch-Brexiter opened offices in dublin.

All these people who are saying we'll be fine are millionaires, who if it all does go **** up will be cushioned by their wealth as well as being put in a position to make money from us crashing out. Whilst the rest of us will be fecked

And why do people keep putting experts in inverted commas?

Its not something i do every time i post the word expert but the "experts" said the country would implode the moment we started the process and these "experts" got it wrong. wink...

The "experts" said the country would implode the moment we started the process and these "experts" have been proved wrong. wink...

If we crash out without a deal, the country may well implode. Its already begun to happen really;

The predictions for job losses and economic losses if airbus alone leaves, are huge. There were 4,600 job losses ar Rolls Royce recently. They say it's for 're-organisation' but I bet that wouldnt be happening if the threat of brexit wasnt looming. JLR have been quietly been moving production to slovakia too.

If we crash out without a deal, the country may well implode

From what i have heard over the last couple of weeks this would be the worst case scenario (as always others disagree) but when the experts i referred to earlier predicted doom and gloom a no deal was never mentioned, both sides lied and look where its got us, the PM never wanted us to leave and now the BBC are reporting -

Theresa May is taking personal control of Brexit talks with the EU, with Dominic Raab deputising for her. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-44941792

Mr Raab, who was a leading figure in the Leave campaign in the 2016 EU referendum, insisted he had not been sidelined, telling MPs it always been the case that Mrs May was in overall charge of the talks and the announcement amounted to some "shifting of the Whitehall deckchairs".

Private%20Frazer%20we're%20doomed.jpg-5642.jpg

From what i have heard over the last couple of weeks this would be the worst case scenario (as always others disagree) but when the experts i referred to earlier predicted doom and gloom a no deal was never mentioned, both sides lied and look where its got us, the PM never wanted us to leave and now the BBC are reporting -

Private%20Frazer%20we're%20doomed.jpg-5642.jpg

Spot on. We were all lied to. Both the leave and brexit campaigns have been fined and I think the leave one may be facing criminal charges. Politicans like Gove are rowing back on their claims during the referendum (He said hes sorry he claimed that Turkey would join the EU) and even Dominic Raab(id) an arch brexiter admited that any decisions that the EU made had to be passed through parliment first
The worst case scenario is the one that is looking more and more likely. This is because May is being held to ransom. She cant get a resolution on the irish border problem because of the DUP (so the EU wont counternence any of her proposals) and the rabid right wing of her party Mogg and his ERG loons are treatening a leadership challenge if she doesnt do what they want (a diamond hard brexit). And where are all the feckers to try and solve the road bock? They've all gone on holiday! :doh:

From what Ive read the parties are gearing up for a possible election in the autumn (that'll be good when we've only got a few weeks left of parliment days before the march deadline)

The first paragraph of the OP is spot on

Never in over 50 years of working life have I seen the UK facing such an abject future, caused by the complete failure of our political establishment to govern, to communicate clearly with the public and, most importantly, to be honest with the electorate. We have many senior politicians who are seemingly consumed with their own ambition and vanity, with little regard for the best interests of the country.

None of the feckers who campaigned for Brexit has stuck around. Where's Farage? Claiming a massive EU pension and courting Trumpite politicians in the US (no doubt for a fat fee?) Where's B.Johnson? Writing for the Telegraph (Having broken parlimentary rules on outside jobs, and no doubt also claiming a fat fee).
The rest of the feckers are fighting like rats in the sack whilst we edge ever close to a no deal brexit. I bet papers like the DM and the Sun havent explained what happens if we crash out; No transition period which means treaties like open skies, euratom, and many many more will come to an end immediatly. Leaving us fecked

To put my cards on the table, I dont actually care whether were in or out of Europe. Like most people I care about the simple things in life, like having a job to pay the bills etc. Whether or not for example, we get instuctions from Brussels or Westminster makes very little difference to my day to day life. But if those millionaire feckers on the front bench of the conservative party (who wont be affected by it because of their millions) crash us out of Europe without a proper deal, life for the average (wo)man on the street is going to get decidedly more difficult

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back